• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in 73 Tii throttle/afr tuning

The slow saga continues.

C5ED66AF-0F53-4850-8EC5-295FFDE2F981_zps

the fuel tank has some rust, and the fuel pickup was gummed up in rust, but it in great shape when cleaned up.  There was some dirty nastiness at the base of the tank, so it was flushed.  Chemical cleaning and sealing is next.  

The fuel line from the tank to the pump looked clear... But 43 years old.  So that was replaced.

the fuel pump no longer sputters and spits.  I wont call it silent, but it is steady and sounds fine to my ears.  There is no change to my afr's or overall running... But it is good this was done.  

Timing still spot on.  Knock on wood, car is no longer stalling in idle when hot.  

Pump is getting 1000mls in 25 seconds via the return fuel line, so fuel seems fine.  

Edited by gliding_serpent2

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

27 minutes ago, gliding_serpent2 said:

and the fuel pickup was gummed up in rust, but it in great shape when cleaned up.

Like many others have experienced, my in-tank screen was black with debris.  You could not see through it.  The first symptom it exhibited was stalling out at 3500rpm.  After cleaning no more stalling.

Obviously yours was not quite there yet.  It seems to have caused the pump to labor to move fuel.  Good to know.  I have since replaced my original fuel pump with the 5series replacement and I'm very happy with the result.  Sooo quiet you can hardly hear it at start up.

In one of your earlier posts you thought the hoses on the WUR were for coolant.  The lower one on the back is air that goes to the bottom of the intake log.  I've tested that hose function by crimping the hose with long pliers to stop the air flow to the log.  Easy definitive test.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On June 22, 2016 at 11:51 PM, cda951 said:

But, I do stand by my long-winded statement above: even after sorting out all extraneous factors like mechanical issues, ignition, and fuel delivery issues, the KF system is not perfect, and you will probably never achieve a "perfect" A/F curve across the board.

This^

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged