• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ugh... Rear hub castle nut

Go to solution Solved by Solarphil,

So im in the process of replacing everything under my car.  I picked up some subframes/trailing arms etc from a parts car and im trying to get everything disassembled to send off to be blasted/coated.  Anyone have tips for getting the rear castle nut off while the trailing arm is off the car?  The hub is spinning freely right now and I have tried various clamps or sticking bolts through the holes where the CV boot bolts go with no luck.  Thought about putting a wheel on and having my wife sit on it but considering the torque Im pretty sure the wheel would spin and she would just end up on the ground, which would be the same place I have to sleep after that incident.

• Solution

I took an 8' long strip of plywood that I had laying around the shop, drilled holes matching the bolt spacing in one end, and bolted it to the hub. That gave me a long lever to keep,the hub from spinning. I used a socket & a breaker bar with a long cheater pipe extension to break the nut loose

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

This is the official bmw tool;

post-35003-0-84202100-1431582951_thumb.j

You need to support the trailing arm with an axle stand to stop it drooping when you put some force onto the hub nut. The tool needs to be supported at the end as well. I found I was still lifting the car.

solarphils solution would work better (and much cheaper) as it has a much longer lever. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

I took an 8' long strip of plywood that I had laying around the shop, drilled holes matching the bolt spacing in one end, and bolted it to the hub. That gave me a long lever to keep,the hub from spinning. I used a socket & a breaker bar with a long cheater pipe extension to break the nut loose

Genius!  This worked perfectly for me thanks!  

My homebrew solution.  (Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate images with this uploader)

post-41189-0-33007600-1431658759_thumb.j

Of course, if I had really been thinking I should have used this as an opportunity to get an impact wrench. I'm a sucker for any excuse to go out and buy a new tool, I can't believe I missed this one  :rolleyes:

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy