• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting carpet set.

stricht8

Personally, I'd cut all pieces to "dry" fit nicely then send them out to a professional binder. Your machine looks like it may just do it but I'd practice on a lot of scrap first, especially on the radius. "Show stitch" binding to pro standards is tougher than it would seem. "Hidden stitch" like Grover did around his pedals is much easier and can be done with acceptable results by using a cheap binding stapler and a bottle of latex. This is the fool proof method for the do it yourselfer. And if you choose a cloth binding I would suggest several applications of Scotch Guard to the binding tape, your carpet is already factory treated.   

I find trimming the pedal openings the most challenging part of carpeting process. I tried stitching binding too, gave up eevn though I have a heavy duty machine with binding attachment (thread size 138-207 no problem). All samples I have seen from Gahh's to Esty's fail in that area in my opinion, Grover's too. I like the factory molded vinyl pedal trim piece that were on 74-76 cars, heat sealed to carpet.  Somebody should reproduce them, it will make carpet so much nicer and professional looking, just my 5 cents.  

Yeah, the area around the pedals is really challenging. I've subsequently found a better technique for doing it which still maintains the top stitching so matches the edges better. It can work for many isolated holes of various shapes, even though a bit time consuming. Here you can sort of see it where I was doing a test pattern for a new E-brake boot on my Alfa; both the round hole where the handbrake lever would come out, as well as the trim around the carpet edge where the boot protrudes use the same technique. If I redo my carpet, this is the approach I'd now take.

IMGP8808_zps8b002ba4.jpg

I find the system Esty uses where she sews a piece of vinyl over the whole area with slits for the pedals to be the best solution. It is simple, clean and functional.

In the case of those using square weave wool, melting the edges with a heating tool won't work.

Edited by stricht8

1973 2002 Verona Red

I think the sluts slots for the pedals are too narrow. If they are enlarged more like a square around the upper and lower corners of the slots they will stitch better IMO. You can put felt or brush (like in automatic) pieces under the slots for a better finished look.    

Edited by bluedevils