• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting carpet set.

stricht8

Congrats on taking the plunge. If you've not already come across it, check out a forum for automotive upholsterer's called The Hog Ring. www.thehogring.com. There are a number of different sub-forums but there are several threads about how best to bind carpet. There are a number of different tips and techniques that may be helpful to you. Regardless, those tight corners you are doing are just a challenging job, so good on you for giving it a try.

Looks like a start over with the machine and being a tight corner the machine foot was slow in pulling the piece through the turn.

Esty?  I was in the garment trade at one time and that's what it looks like to me.  I wouldn't fault the operator or consider it poor workmanship.  Just the way things are made sometimes.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I don't know about their use of binding machines. Attached below is a corner of my original carpet. If you look closely, you will see where the area was stitched twice, perhaps becsuse they didn't get it right the first time- I'm not sure? This doesn't seem consistent with what a binding machine would do. Additionally, the stitch length was decreased at the tight curves. In my opinion, this attention to detail is inconsistent with what a non-skilled worker operating a binding machine would do but who knows, I've never operated a binding machine so I lack the ability to comment with any certainty. These are just my observations.

You are assuming those extra stitches around the corners were done at the shop who made the carpet for BMW. It is quite possible that some of the previous owners took the carpet to a local shop to reinforce the stitching or replace the binding.  However, your stitching looks very good, good job. I have to learn how to do this myself sometimes soon.

Congrats on taking the plunge. If you've not already come across it, check out a forum for automotive upholsterer's called The Hog Ring. www.thehogring.com. There are a number of different sub-forums but there are several threads about how best to bind carpet. There are a number of different tips and techniques that may be helpful to you. Regardless, those tight corners you are doing are just a challenging job, so good on you for giving it a try.

I've discovered Hogring! It's a great resource! Yeah those corners are difficult for sure. I just ended up hand wheeling the whole piece as I don't have full control of the clutch motor yet.

1973 2002 Verona Red

You are assuming those extra stitches around the corners were done at the shop who made the carpet for BMW. It is quite possible that some of the previous owners took the carpet to a local shop to reinforce the stitching or replace the binding.  However, your stitching looks very good, good job. I have to learn how to do this myself sometimes soon.

With a car so old anything is possible!

Thanks. It's not easy to get a straight stitch line when sewing preformed binding. The factory stitches are more straight and consistent. This could be due to eons of experience on the part of the workers or that they are in fact using a binding machine. Who knows. It would be interesting to find an old picture of these workers sewing up carpet.

1973 2002 Verona Red

I've discovered Hogring! It's a great resource! Yeah those corners are difficult for sure. I just ended up hand wheeling the whole piece as I don't have full control of the clutch motor yet.

i just bought a new to me consew walking foot machine, with a servo motor and reduction wheel...i can slow it down so much i can almost thread it while it's running ...you guys shamed me into spending the big bucks...i'm glad i did...i used to have one like it but sold it when we moved from california

i just bought a new to me consew walking foot machine, with a servo motor and reduction wheel...i can slow it down so much i can almost thread it while it's running ...you guys shamed me into spending the big bucks...i'm glad i did...i used to have one like it but sold it when we moved from california

It was about time Esty! Good job. You are going to love that machine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sewed up the tunnel piece today. My stitching is clearly getting more consistent. I used real leather for the scuff pad next to gas pedal. I figured it would wear better than vinyl and class it up a bit.

post-39401-0-35160600-1430704536_thumb.j

post-39401-0-08769700-1430704570_thumb.j

post-39401-0-17966500-1430704609_thumb.j

post-39401-0-51752700-1430704639_thumb.j

post-39401-0-66708100-1430704675_thumb.j

post-39401-0-05107400-1430704726_thumb.j

post-39401-0-46662100-1430704756_thumb.j

1973 2002 Verona Red