• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thank you vets

ndog

USAF active & reserve, commissioned 1966, retired 1997

Left my wife and year old 2002 for Vietnam in 1970; drove my '73 to Oklahoma City when called up for Desert Storm in 1991...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm shipping to basic in February. How's your experience been? What is your rating/job? 

i dont know how hard basic is for the USCG is.

I would recommend you listen,learn,and dont bring attitude,

the service is a team,

kinda like your car,one bad part/component and the whole thing goes aw shit

you will be fine as long as you are over 6ft tall,if the ship sinks you can walk home  

JK thank you for enlisting sir.......

Edited by ndog

speaking of inter-service rivalries ...... source of fantastic jokes and jests !!

substitute (your service/specialty) as desired ..... I shall demonstrate.

There is a big puddle in front of the pub just outside of (servicedude #2)'s base.

The ragged old (Navy Seabee), wearing a too-crusty salt-stained ball cap, was standing in the rain near the edge of the big puddle with a fishing rod, his line in the puddle.

A curious and very young (servicedude #2) stopped and asked what he was doing.

"Fishing,"  the Navy Seabee simply said.

"Poor old fool,"  thought the young (servicedude #2), but he nonetheless invited the ragged old Navy Seabee into the pub for a drink on the house.

As he felt he should start some congenial conversation while they were sipping their single malt, the (servicedude #2) asked,  "And how many have you caught ??"

"You're the eighth,"  the old Navy Seabee slurred.

Edited by OriginalOwner

i remember being very tired,and sometimes pissed off ,the physical part should be easy if your doing your work now...

I missed home, family ,friends and letters helped bigtime.

the navy might be different but the game seemed to find the INDIVIDUALS and correct them,my best advice is to keep yourself squared and help the poorfool who cant.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL,ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

p.s. if you get the opportunity to go into special programs(for me dive school) take them.

gl thank you again

Driftin,

it ain't about running and lifting, anybody can do that.

It's about running and lifting for 12 hours without quitting.  It's about eating "dirt" for 24/7 and never whining.  It's about 2x4's to the head and discomfort and pain, then reaching over to help your swim buddy because he's falling behind and he's more important than you are.  It's about pulling the slack for the ***hole next to you because if you don't everybody else is going to suffer even worse.  It's about saying, "Yes I will do that" and never ever failing to live up to that promise.

Basic can be an excellent training ground to gain practical insight while learning that "good Navy leadership" is not a textbook checklist of causes & desired effects, but rather a mindset and a lifestyle you assimilate & assume unto & into yourself, and into which you are transformed.

It's a damn ugly world out there ..... don't backslide and become one of "them people."

Cheers,

Carl