• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kkk Eb32G Rebuild Kits- Interest List

m6smitten

After scouring the planet looking for rebuild kits for the original KKK unit, I've partnered with an engineering firm (which specializes in turbo charger components) to reproduce a kit based on KKK's original drawings!

From my contact:

As you know, we have searched for genuine rebuild kits from KKK before with no success.  KKK no longer offers the kit as a sale item and the last sale they had on them was Cosworth in the UK which used them on a job.  So in exploring different options, there are people in the aftermarket that have the ability to re-produce the piston rings (both turbine side and compressor) as well as the journal bearings.  Seeing that aluminum was the original material in which the journal bearings were made out of.  Knowing now that aluminum is not the best material to use for journal bearings, these will be produced in Bronze.

Journal Bearings:  Qty:2 per turbo,  made out of bearing grade Bronze (knurled face, broached, similar but not exact).  We could not do the standard oil feed holes with the bearings because of the oil feed ports on the bearing housing.  The oil feed ports are side feeding that allows the oil to travel down the shaft length wise instead of the more typical oil feed port hole that you would find on standard turbochargers these days.

Piston Rings:  Qty:2 compressor side/Qty:2 turbine side, are both going to be produce out of M2 Tool Steel and verified to fit great, as you know we went through some trial an error on these because the factory hand written drawings are rough.

Question: What is a rebuild kit to KKK specs worth?

Question: How many Turbo owners on the FAQ are interested?

I will contact Norbert but I'd like your help in spreading this information.

m6smitten1.jpg

There are quite a few of the hulks out there. I have my cars original KKK, but the car is sporting the Garrett now and I wouldn't change it. Perhaps the next owner will. Good luck with this.

I also went with a modern turbo for a little while but changed back. The car felt different, sounded different and I worried about going "lean" as modern units are so much more efficient. With the original back in place, I can enjoy the car for what it was supposed to be. Lag and all. 

Obviously the more commitments we get now, the cheaper the kits will be. I am ordering five for personal use and resale.

Eager to hear your thoughts. 

Yale- we are six weeks out for production once I get an interest list finalized. I've also contacted the German Turbo club.

Edited by m6smitten
m6smitten1.jpg

before you re-engineer the planet, have you sat down with the parts book for turbos and looked up the parts by size.   find it hard to believe that no one utilies those snap rings, thrust bearings, or journal bearings.

Good question. My guy at KKK cross referenced the parts and could not find suitable components and we have the original drawings as a source document.

In my experience, people with information on retrofitting other kits have either died, unwilling to share or want unreasonably high compensation in return. 

Plus, I know these parts are bespoke to KKK Specs.

m6smitten1.jpg

When I was restoring mine I had a local turbo rebuilder have a look at the 2 I have. He was able to come up with kits that worked, I believe he had to overbore the housing to match the new bearing but was able to use the original shafts and impellers. I have a rebuilt spare on the shelf just in case. I'm not sure if your reproduction kit will work nth I would buy one just in case (I am sure j could sleeve the housing off needed)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

When I was restoring mine I had a local turbo rebuilder have a look at the 2 I have. He was able to come up with kits that worked, I believe he had to overbore the housing to match the new bearing but was able to use the original shafts and impellers. I have a rebuilt spare on the shelf just in case. I'm not sure if your reproduction kit will work nth I would buy one just in case (I am sure j could sleeve the housing off needed)

lol I tried your contact (thanks for sharing) but he had left with no forwarding info.

What excites me about these kits is the original turbo will not need to be altered as the only difference will be the bearing material bronze vs. aluminum.

Korman runs a great outfit and has tons of experience. As such, I was quoted $2-3k for an overhaul of my turbo charger. 

m6smitten1.jpg

Pre-production list: At this low production number, we are looking at $300 per kit. A good price for something considered Unobtainium but we can get these cheaper with more commitments:

1) Smitten     5 kits

2) Pre            1 

3) Yale          1 

4) Bent          1 

m6smitten1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay. 1st kit is in production.  We will spin the bearing set to 300,000 rpm on my original EB32G turbo to insure quality and longevity. I will have pics of the kits, turbo rebuild and testing in a couple weeks. Again, sorry for the delay, I want to get this right.

m6smitten1.jpg

• 1 month later...