• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fidgety Turn Signal Stalk - Won't Flash

enoklite

Hi all!

I have a 1973 with a little problem in the turn signal stalk unit. The unit flashes left just fine but when I click it down for the right flashers nothing happens unless I apply extra downward pressure or pull the lever towards me. I should add that the arm stays in both positions, it just won't signal in the right position.

Tonight I took apart the whole steering surround and got to the unit itself. I sprayed inside with compressed air and a small amount of contact cleaner but sadly this did not remedy the problem. Is there any possibility of prying the unit apart and fixing it or is it more effective to just find a new turn signal/wiper stalk assembly and resolder?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Edited by enoklite

While I have no input on your issue, my 76 was sort of displaying similar issues. I went and bought a new switch and loved the exact feel of the new part. So my advice is to get the new switch if still available and not horribly expensive. Switch was just over $100 for the '76, not sure what cost is for the '73.

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

Mine just died too. I ordered a new hazard switch (also died) from blunt to see if that remedies the problem. 

The turn signal switches are expensive but if originality isn't an issue for you, here's a write up for using a NAPA part that does the job and costs about $15.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/85984-signal-flasher-upgrade-easy-to-do-what-a-difference/

I might be doing the same if my issue isn't solved when my parts arrive.

good luck!

mike tunney

TS stalk most likely has a broken wire - or one that is barely connected to the contact. The wires terminate at the back of the switch and are constantly being moved up and down.   Simply remove the switch/stalk assembly from the steering column, turn it over and closely examine the wires.   I had to re-solder two wires on my 73 switch.

Edit - added picture of the switch wiring

pics11709014.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

TS stalk most likely has a broken wire - or one that is barely connected to the contact. The wires terminate at the back of the switch and are constantly being moved up and down.   Simply remove the switch/stalk assembly from the steering column, turn it over and closely examine the wires.   I had to re-solder two wires on my 73 switch.

Edit - added picture of the switch wiring

pics11709014.jpg

I already have my turn signal switch removed, and no wires seem to be broken on the back. I guess resoldering wouldn't hurt in case some have corroded over time?

I had similar issue on my stalk when trying to signal right, except mine seemed to affect the indicator light on the dash (the external signal worked).  Wiggling until I found the happy spot helped.

check to see if the base had spread (black plastic from aluminum front).  I had a broken tab.  I think bent a chunk of thin gauge materiel in a C with sharp corners, slightly smaller than the base, which pushed them together when installed.

Also putting in an electric flasher helped as well (EL 13, Triton?).  Wiring info is available on here as well.  I've got it written down in my garage if you need.  Now I get the indicator working for both directions.

Hope that helps

edit: mine is a 73 as well.  wonder how many times, over the years, those get bashed when someone is going for the shifter.....

Edited by xferboy

I have a couple switches.  They are an 'earlier' style, but I am not sure what years they'll fit.  Can you read the numbers on the one you have?  I might have the one you need... assuming the switch is the problem.

128.jpg

Mine has the part # 1355 283 8157 62

Replacement TS switches for Roundies have different graphics on the end. The early cars do not have the plastic plug/socket arrangement (nor the metal plate that is secured under the steering column- the wires are part of the cabin harness.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Okay so after work today I figured I might as well break into the switch itself. There I found that the internal plastic piece was askew and after I placed it back and glued the thing shut both signals work! Pretty stoked but I still have to take a look at the whole hazard light thing. Thanks to '76MintGrun for the links on that!

Again, thanks for all the input from you guys.  :D