• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Brakes Major Headache!

Burtons Beamer

I have been trying to get the rear passenger rear brake drum (new) on for 2 days!!?? I replaced the rear shoes and have no fluid yet to the new expander. I have my eccentric adjusters working nicely and ket cannot get the drum on. Any advice here would be helpful....

tapped from the bottom so as to "square up" with rubber hammer and still no love.

ordered some e-brake cables and figured I would get new brake fluid hoses for the res. did the braided hoses and new hard lines in the back as well. Hopefully my master is alright? do these rot when sitting for too long?

Really no way of knowing.  Id install all you have and of course replace with fresh fluid and try it before spending for a new master. You can always replace it if you have an issue

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Thanks blunt. Now that I have has the car idling in the garage a bit I have notice a pretty good amount of oil leaks. Where are the most likely sources of leaks for a car that has been sitting for twenty?

For leaks in the brake fluid, you have already found two of the spots that might spring a leak.  Check under the clutch slave cylinder and inside and under the pedal box for a possibly leaking clutch master cylinder.  

Also be sure to check all of your flexible rubber brake lines.  No so much for leaks but to make sure they haven't swollen shut from the inside.  I recently went through that exercise when I couldn't bleed my brakes because they were swollen shut.  No cracks or leaks on the outside rubber but no fluid could pass through the inside.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the replies. I installed the new emergency brake lines today and everything went together nicely. Tomorrow I will continue with my brake resurrection. I have already installed the new braided lines on the front and will do the rears in the morning. The access for this looks like it is going to be really challenging! Any tips?

To replace the rear flexible lines, I found it easier to take off the rear sway bar brackets.  Removing just the brackets allows you to swing the sway bar out of the way and makes it easier to access the brake line fittings in that area.  No need to remove the sway bar completely.

I would also recommend spraying/soaking some PB Blaster on the fittings overnight.  Also using emery cloth on the steel brake lines just before the fitting BEFORE trying to unscrew the fitting so that there is no corrosion/rust restricting the fitting from sliding back onto the steel brake line.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks blunt. Now that I have has the car idling in the garage a bit I have notice a pretty good amount of oil leaks. Where are the most likely sources of leaks for a car that has been sitting for twenty?

Check the oil pan area, distributor mounting housing, oil filter housing, engine timing covers, valve cover (very common),  exhaust manifold (very common) and the tii oil supply pipe and oil return hose.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

And by exhaust manifold, Jim means that the studs that hold the thing on can leak!

They go through into the head, and form a path for oil to get out.

Wacky, but true.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And by exhaust manifold, Jim means that the studs that hold the thing on can leak!

They go through into the head, and form a path for oil to get out.

Wacky, but true.

t

Thanks Toby. Sometimes I need clarification assistance from seasoned veterans.

The inclined orientation of the M10 engine doesn't help pinpointing oil leaks. Maybe that is why the tranny is always coated in oil.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"