• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi Mac,

Peter Herke had a BMW shop in Castro Valley, he was campaigning a 3.0 CS around the same time as I was working with the Applegate brothers.  The car was great, the engine was beautiful, 3 side-draft Webers, etc...  I'd heard he sold the shop and retired to Florida a while back.  He's a great guy, he sure helped us out a lot - we would have had a lot more painful learning curve if it weren't for his help. 

Ben

.....Sebring, ALMS/SVRA few years ago--------West Coast Car.

".......center of the Pacific region scene in the '70's...."

the name Peter Herke ring any bells with anyone? (now living in Florida)

mac.

Thats the guy! 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I think it was five or six years ago I had a nice long talk with Peter at Watkins Glen Historics and he had entered a 2002 Tii.

...........and wasn't it Peter who had listed a NOS Schnitzer head (and a bunch of other stuff) on eBay last week???

mac.

I agree- this is neat.

I do suspect that most of the 'first' generation

of 2002 race cars got used up- it doesn't take

too much of a hit to write one off, and the earlier

cars had pretty basic safety equipment

(bolt in roll cage, for example) that could

be moved to another chassis pretty easily.

I wish there were more that survived.  But they

just weren't famous enough 'back in the day'...

And yes, I'd love it if a dozen people piped up and proved me wrong, here!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am the daughter of Eckhart, and the niece of Herbert of H&E BMW. It is really nice to read these posts and was floored at some of the photos, especially the one of my father and uncle!

I would really love to hear from anyone who has old photos of the old dealership, momentos, license plate frames, etc. Both my father and uncle are retired now and I would love to put something together for them of their happiest days...

Please contact me at: steffimaus1963@yahoo.com if you have any H&E memorabilia, photos, or stories you could send to me.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Fiebiger

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Dang dude is that really the same car? Beautiful colors! And sorry about the jab I made at you in the other thread. I've been a machinist my whole life and like to help anyone build stuff. Save them time from repeating mistakes I already made. 

Threads like this are my favorites. I was a poor kid late 70's. I didn't think I would ever be a part of the flashy race car world.  I got my foot in the door racing mx and cross country. I did a bunch of autocross later and still have 2 of the 3 2002's my brother and I bought. I make parts for an SVRA corvette builder sometimes these days

Sorry, that was a response to the post before mine asking where all the race cars are. This was a Sahara Braun street car up until ten years ago. Not a survivor track car from the ‘70s. I just finished it at the beginning of this year. 
As far as any jabs, I missed it since I stopped watching that particular thread. All good though. 

Edited by Furry Camel