• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bumper Buffer

Mwells

i need to replace the small rubber part (vertical part) of the rear bumper.  You can't tell from the photo but it has a large crack along the top of it.  It looks like I need to remove the entire bumper or am I missing something??  I have a 76 but not w/ 76 bumpers and, uh, that's not my house she's parked in front of.  I wish it were...

post-46864-0-80506500-1400283208_thumb.j

post-46864-0-75825500-1400283451.png

76 Sahara 02

Yes - you need to remove the entire bumper to gain access to the (2) nuts that secure the rubber ends to the over riders.   Be prepared to use lots of penetrant and purchase replacement hardware.  IIRC, those rubber pieces are NOT cheap.

By the way - your car looks very nice!

D0F563BE.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you break off one of the studs that holds the rubber to the bumper guard, drop me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a column I did on repairing 'em.  I've been successful about 75% of the time repairing a broken stud so that the rubber will stay on the guard.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So after looking under the car for 15 minutes light dawned on marblehead and I quickly found the bolts via the trunk. Surprisingly, didn't have any trouble taking it off or apart. Could be because the bumpers were swapped out more recently. I got the replacement part from a BMW dealer in South Atlanta for $25. Thanks for the other links, I will keep those in mind for the future. Curiously the new bumper only had two studs while the body had holes for three. I guess if I ever need to smuggle anything I can use the middle hole :). Thanks for the comments!

76 Sahara 02

If you break off one of the studs that holds the rubber to the bumper guard, drop me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a column I did on repairing 'em.  I've been successful about 75% of the time repairing a broken stud so that the rubber will stay on the guard.

Hi Mike, can you please send me a PM about your write up about for repairing broken stud?

thx

al