• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K&n For Solex Phh40

Laurent1602

Hey guys,

I've bought 2 PHH40's for my 1602. I've almost got everything I need to get them installed, I'm only still looking for ail filters (since I don't like the OEM airbox). I really like the K&N filters, but I'd love to keep my original brake booster.

Would these fit on the Solex PHH40? http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=56-1310

If not, which will fit without changing the brake booster?

Thanks in advance!

Laurent

BMW 1602 (1975) - 3978554 - Fjord Blue metallic with double Solex PHH40

BMW 3.0 CSi (1974) - 4340715 - Nightblue metallic

Laurent,

do yourself a favor and don´t use the 40 PHHs with anything else than the OEM airbox. The carbs will need a re-jetting if you use K+Ns on them AND want to have it run smooth still. Otherwise you will create what soo many people did before you: A loud car with high gas consumption and non-increased power (we call it Luftpumpe over here - maybe you understand some German as from your number plates you seem to be from Belgium).

If - as your username suggests - you really have a 1,6L engine in your car, keep an eye on the jetting of the carbs. The 40 PHHs on 2002TI came from factory different than the ones on 1600ti and you´ll need the latter ones.

2002TI

Venturis 34

main jet: 130

idle: 52,5

air correction: 155

1600ti:

Venturis: 30

main jet: 120

idle: 50

air correction: 155

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Hi Lars,

I was just reading some on the forum about the K&N filters and it seems they're not very good for the engine, so I guess that's out of question now. Rejetting is no problem, as that would have to happen anyway because the carbs came from a 2L engine and are now indeed going on a 1.6L. It's nice to have the right values for the venturis, jets,... Thanks!

Of course I don't want a 'Luftpumpe', but I like the word  :D

Laurent,

you can´t really blame it on the filters. K+Ns are not bad separately seen. This K+N type just doesn´t work out fine with the PHHs.

AFAIK K+N supplies filters for the TI airbox, too. Those you can use without any problems. If you´re willing to deal with the washing, cleaning and re-oiling regularly it will prevent you from buying new OEM paper filters every now and then.

Regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Solex PHH carbs are difficult to reset from 2002 to 1600. The Venturis can be removed, but the carb needs to be completely disassembled. Along with the jets and venturis the injection tube oraphice is slightlu smaller. I've tried to reset a set of Solex phh's off am 1800 to the 1600 specs, and I never got all the parts. My uncle machined the 30mm venturis for me. The 1800ti carbs also have shorter emulsion tubes compared to the 2002ti and 1600ti. The air horns for the 2002ti and 1600ti carbs are slightly angled compared to the Neu Klasse 1800ti and 2000ti carbs. The airboxes also differ greatly between the two models.

You most likely need the ti booster, but you might get away with the stock booster, although it will be a tight fit.

Only the specific airbox for the 02 chasis will with in the engine compartment over the booster. The Neu Klasse Ti airboxes will not fit. The stock airbox delivers the optimum performance and torque. Those sox will have an adverse affect on your performance. The Alpina carbed cars used the stock ti airbox in many cases. It's very difficult to replicate the 1600ti engine since pistons are almost impossible to find. Most people confuse the stock 8.6/1 1600 pistons with the tall 6mm dome for the higher compression 9.6/1 1600ti pistons which have the very tall 10mm dome.

Alpina had Weber side draft carb kits with air cleaner for the stock compression 1500, 1600, 1800 and 2000cc motors. You might want to do some research and go with the Webers with Alpina jetting specs.

Slavs

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll start looking for a OEM airbox then. And for the PHH's, it never really was my intention to make it complete ti because, as you say, that means a lot more than double carbs. I'd be glad if I can enjoy the nice sound of a double carburetted engine and get a little more power. I don't really care if I could get 5hp more actually, it's not a race car ;)

Thanks to you all for the advice!

Laurent,

I just went through this exercise not 6 months ago...using Solex DDH carbs. I couldn't afford a good original airbox, so I used UNI Filters with angled necks. They easily clear my standard brake booster. Yes, I had to re-jet my carbs, but didn't have to change the chokes. (my carbs are quite different than the PHHs) Re-jetting isn't so bad and Ruddies-Berlin should have all the carb jets and rebuild kits for you.

www.ruddies-berlin.de

Here are the filters I used... I am very happy with them. They fit nicely over the original velocity stacks. The red pre filter slips over the black, base filter...so you can choose what color you like best. The red, pre-filter is only for very dusty conditions.

post-42878-0-10605400-1396453874_thumb.j post-42878-0-07755600-1396453832_thumb.j

post-42878-0-83498800-1396456128_thumb.j

The clamp-on, pod filters from UNI are Model UP-6245 AST

http://www.unifilter.com/clamp-on/

Also...here's a link with some very good info on tuning the PHH. The photos can be a bit of a pain to download, but makes a good reference.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/19030-how-tune-your-solex-carburetor-images-procedures.html

Good luck finding an original airbox. It can fit on a standard brake booster, but you will need to re-form the bottom of the main air chamber (with a hammer) to clear the taller booster. I may know of someone who has a couple of airboxes... send me an email and I'll send you his info. I have seen a few on eBay, as well.

I'm quite happy with how my vintage carbs turned out, so don't give up too soon. Make sure the throttle shafts are not worn, as you will have a vacuum leak and that will cause poor idling among other nasty issues. The housings can be re-bushed to solve the problem.

Lars is a wealth of good information. I'd pay attention to what he says :)

Good luck!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks for the advice! I already found someone willing to sell me his orignal airbox for a nice price, so I guess I'll go that way, and use an original paper filter. It's not the most beautiful looking option under the hood, but driving fun exceeds looks imo. Normally I should have all the parts in a week or so, and then I can finally start mounting them! I'm really excited to get them on my car, because everyone tells me it makes a pretty big diffence in driving fun.

If I encounter any problems while mounting them, you'll read it here :)

And of course I'll also post the final result :D