• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tour Provence Is Go! 5-10 May 2014

NickVyse

Hi all - I know it's a little late in the day, but for a while I didn't have the dates free to make this happen. They are now so we can base ourselves around my b&b 'Le Foulon', tour some of these incredible roads in convoy and end the week at the Historic Grands Prix of Monaco. I know this message board is mainly Stateside, but just getting it out there.

This is a small first come first served affair, open to anyone with a pre 1976 BMW. Please no requests for modern cars!

PRICING

We have 13 rooms, some are only doubles, some are twins. I have priced this event at our standard b&b rates plus €22 per person per evening meal. This is for a set 2 course meal with half a litre of local wine. Price includes breakfast, but not lunch. We will be making scheduled stops for lunch as a group, but everyone will pay individually for whatever they choose. 

I am not charging for any of my time organising this event. 

The tour starts at midday on Monday 5th May 2014, giving you the weekend to get here. The price is for 5 nights, with Friday being the last night. The Historic Grands Prix starts on the Friday and continues all weekend, so if you want to experience it for more then one day (Friday) then you can extend your stay either at the Foulon or wherever. I decided that keeping the Tour to the 5 days with a weekend for travelling either end would probably best fit into peoples busy lives. 

372.50€ per person. Strauss, Wolf or Cheiron Suite. Based on 2 sharing. Superking doubles only.

347.50€ per person. Gertrude or Fablo luxury rooms. Based on 2 sharing. Superking doubles only.

322.50€ per person. Jacob, Soubrier, Alamairac & Alexi rooms. Based on 2 sharing. 2 single beds.

285€ per person. One of 4 Maurel rooms. Based on 2 sharing/shared bathroom. 2 standard doubles, and 2 with single beds.

Please make sure you get proper European breakdown cover. I will endeavour to make sure everyone makes it back to base every day, and if we can't fix these cars between us on the road side then we can even tow you back to base and my workshop. 

Price does not include entry to the Historic Grands Prix, but I am 90 percent sure that the Friday afternoon practise is FREE. Yes, that's right, you don't pay. For information and tickets for the qualie and race on the Saturday and Sunday visit the official web site and buy direct: http://www.acm.mc

I have contacted the Automobile Club de Monaco to find out if the Friday is free or not and will update this page accordingly.

SCHEDULE

The first afternoon (monday) will be a short drive, and more about everyone getting to know each other over a lunch. 

Tuesday we'll do a big circuit of the Gorges du Verdon - the deepest canyon in Europe.

Wednesday we'll head over to the Gorges de Daluis (the 'red' gorge) and a circuit back through the Gorges de Cians.

Thursday we'll do the Cote d'Azur starting at Cannes and heading East, the famous moyen corniche towards Monaco, and then head into the hills again for the Col du Turini.

Friday, Monaco and the afternoon practise of the Historique Grands Prix

PAYMENT

As I said, it's first come first served, and to confirm a booking we require a credit card over the phone and a 25 percent deposit. The remaining 75 percent will be taken at the end of April. Any extra drinks and services whilst here can be paid for on departure. 

I think that's it and hope this goes well - it'll be great fun however many people can make it, and if it's a success there's no reason why it can't become a bi-annual event to coincide with the Historique. 

Cheers all - and fire away with questions, or give me a call on +33 4 93 24 41 38

For a taster of what roads you'll be experiencing here's some aerial footage I did with a mate back in the summer:

Nick

ps. and here's a film about the property:

Edited by NickVyse

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Great riches are wasted on the top 1/2 of 1%.  Dayumm; what a great way to spend gobs of money.  Since I am a working man, I cannot partake, but I certainly wish you all a very good time. 

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

• 2 weeks later...

Great riches are wasted on the top 1/2 of 1%.  Dayumm; what a great way to spend gobs of money.  Since I am a working man, I cannot partake, but I certainly wish you all a very good time. 

The Friday afternoon practise for the Historique Grands Prix is FREE. Free entrance to all grandstand, yep, not one penny.

Good news for the working man (I had my Butler explain to me what one is).

Nick: Sorry that I sounded snarky. I would LOVE to be there.  No doubt.  Fare thee well....

No worries Denker - those that race at the Historique certainly qualify for the top half of one percent, but I for one am glad that it exists and they really spank those old f1 cars like they're beaters. 

Hi Nick,

I can't make this, but just wanted to say the footage shot by Cloudbase is really impressive. 

Just how smooth it is, and how close they can come to foliage and the mountains, could never be done

with a helicopter. For a second I was reminded of the opening scenes of The Shining!

The Friday afternoon practise for the Historique Grands Prix is FREE. Free entrance to all grandstand, yep, not one penny.

Good news for the working man (I had my Butler explain to me what one is).

:lol:

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Nick  - as much as my wife & I would LOVE to jet over and visit your B&B, drive around the lovely countryside, eat some fantastic food and drink the local wines - we are unable to afford doing so this year.

Maybe if I sell one of my cars  ;) .    To be sure - it is on our bucket list!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Oooo I may have to talk this over with the gf! What if I have a 76? Which isn't period in the engine bay....

Dave

you have to wear a funny hat and buy the first round of drinks

Nick  - as much as my wife & I would LOVE to jet over and visit your B&B, drive around the lovely countryside, eat some fantastic food and drink the local wines - we are unable to afford doing so this year.

Maybe if I sell one of my cars  ;) .    To be sure - it is on our bucket list!

don't you have any limbs or off spring to sell instead?

Hi Nick,

I can't make this, but just wanted to say the footage shot by Cloudbase is really impressive. 

Just how smooth it is, and how close they can come to foliage and the mountains, could never be done

with a helicopter. For a second I was reminded of the opening scenes of The Shining!

Our property has a long corridor, it's snowing this morning, might have to buy myself a trike. "Redrum!"

Cloudbase use a gyroscopic mount to smooth things out, and then smooth it further with clever software. How close they get is a measure of their skill/insanity, delete as you will.