• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Beauty Shots

bluebmw

A couple shots I took a few months ago on top of Donner Summit here in Truckee. Landed me on petrolicious.com so I'm pretty happy about that! Let me know what you guys think, I need as many photog tips as I can get.

Here are couple of photo tips.  The shots (especially the first and third) are underexposed, which is common when shooting things like a white car and snow.  The camera adjusts the exposure to an average luminance value equivalent to 12 or 18% gray, depending on who you believe.  You ideally want to adjust your exposure compensation (try +1 stop for a bright scene) before you take the shot, or correct it in post-processing afterwards.  I like the composition of the second one, although once you brighten it the sky is going to be blown out (white).  You took these on a bright sunny day, which is challenging.  Make sure to position the car so the visible surfaces aren't all in shadow.  Nice looking car!

Edited by dcmackintosh

Really nice pictures!

To be clear I'm really not being negative about this pic - it's just a thought of a variation of it, and wondering how it would look in a standing composition with all the tree tops and a piece of blue sky at the top. I think it would look cool and have an effect of "layers", snow, car, rocks, trees, sky.. The car would maybe be less prominent (might be the wrong word) but as a picture it might work well.

As well. As I said, really nice pictures!=) 

Thanks, great suggestion. I assume you mean to compose it in portrait so the car is at the bottom, trees/rocks in the middle and sky at top? That would be a great photo. Thanks!

1974 2002tii

Here are couple of photo tips.  The shots (especially the first and third) are underexposed, which is common when shooting things like a white car and snow.  The camera adjusts the exposure to an average luminance value equivalent to 12 or 18% gray, depending on who you believe.  You ideally want to adjust your exposure compensation (try +1 stop for a bright scene) before you take the shot, or correct it in post-processing afterwards.  I like the composition of the second one, although once you brighten it the sky is going to be blown out (white).  You took these on a bright sunny day, which is challenging.  Make sure to position the car so the visible surfaces aren't all in shadow.  Nice looking car!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I definitely need to work on exposure compensation, shooting in full sun is definitely tricky. This location is actually a pretty busy road so I was having a number of problems adjusting my settings on the fly as cars went by (and I'm standing in the middle of the road for a lot of these shots). You can see more from this shoot in the gallery I created, would love some more suggestions from you. Thanks!

1974 2002tii

Thanks, great suggestion. I assume you mean to compose it in portrait so the car is at the bottom, trees/rocks in the middle and sky at top? That would be a great photo. Thanks!

Yes, that is what I meant, I'm having some lingual difficulties from time to time..=) 

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

oh yeah, does he have an 02 as well? im sure he was at red door meet? i love that meet, so many different cars! thanks for the love, im proud of my baby lol

i just noticed you posted pics of your 2002, i read the article on that car, it looks awesome! love the wheels and the lights inside the grill, very nice car you have.

Yep, my friend saw it at the red door meet, looks like a really great event. He drives a black Saab 9-2x with some modifications (basically a Saabaru WRX), although I'm sure he wishes he had an 02! Yours looks really great too, your front bumper/wheel arch fitment is flawless. Are those Hella 500s as well? I am actually moving up to Portland in a month, so I am very much looking forward to attending these meets, I assume you live in the area? I'm sure I'll see you around in the coming months! Thanks for the comment!

1974 2002tii

B) Haven't posted in this thread yet...

SoValley_Front_Med.jpg

SoValley_Pass_Wide_Med.jpg

Those.....wheels......are.....amazing! Pretty much exactly what I've dreamed about getting for my own. What are they? SSR? Mahle? Looks like custom lips/barrels? What are the specs? 

The rest of the car looks great too by the way, I love the (partially) clear front turn lenses. I am super curious about your side skirts and rear valance too, any info? If you lost the diving boards this car would be one of my favorites! Great work.

• Thanks 1

1974 2002tii

Those.....wheels......are.....amazing! Pretty much exactly what I've dreamed about getting for my own. What are they? SSR? Mahle? Looks like custom lips/barrels? What are the specs? 

The rest of the car looks great too by the way, I love the (partially) clear front turn lenses. I am super curious about your side skirts and rear valance too, any info? If you lost the diving boards this car would be one of my favorites! Great work.

Hi Rusty, Thx.  I've posted info on my wheels, body-kit, etc. before, but here's the basics.

Wheels are vintage, lightweight, 'small center' Epsilons - 16x7.2 (2.2 inch lips).  Signal lenses are BMW Italian OEMs.  Side skirts and rear valence by BMP Design.  My big bumpers are staying - I've gotten comments for many years to ditch 'em, but I actually like 'em - they've proven very valuable for city street parking protection and sitting/jacking.  It's my favorite anywayz  :P

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hey Visionaut I like what you've done. A unique look.

First time I've seen ground effects on the rear of the car.

Blacked logo, cool.

I'd lose the artwork above the rear wheel though. I think it detracts from the smooth lines of the profile.

Strangely the bumpers look fine, complimentary. I know I'd feel a lot more comfortable (parking) with those. Break your heart to get crunched.

Makes me wonder what you're hiding under the hood.

I'll bet you get more than your share of "what car is that???"

• Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I appreciate the comments, Paul.  Yes, I've tried for a different look, and also think the bumpers fit in with it well. (lower & longer visually)

The fender stickers are only temporary.  Yeah - even a few bimmerphiles ask 'whaddizit?'- many others wrongly guess, or think it's a more modern car.

I've got a full mods listing up on my site, if you're curious.  Since you asked, here's what's under the hood  :ph34r:

SoValley_MotorLft_Lg.jpg

Edited by visionaut
fixed broken pix (URLs didn't work anymore)

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I've got a full mods listing up on my site, if you're curious. Since you asked, here's what's under the hood

That is VERY cool!

Artwork on fender would look good in the rear window elbow.

One of the first things I noticed about your car is the green tint on the windows. It really pops on the black.

And the gold in the wheels definitely adds a classy touch. I had gold centers on my Inka car and it looked good too.

Good work. I have trouble just keeping the tii clean and trouble free. I'd have to learn a whole lot of new stuff to have a beast like yours.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hi Rusty, Thx.  I've posted info on my wheels, body-kit, etc. before, but here's the basics.

Wheels are vintage, lightweight, 'small center' Epsilons - 16x7.2 (2.2 inch lips).  Signal lenses are BMW Italian OEMs.  Side skirts and rear valence by BMP Design.  My big bumpers are staying - I've gotten comments for many years to ditch 'em, but I actually like 'em - they've proven very valuable for city street parking protection and sitting/jacking.  It's my favorite anywayz  :P

Tom

Yeah I can definitely respect keeping the diving board bumpers for the practicality - my car had them for a long time before I could afford euros and when I was a student and parking on the street it definitely saved me a few times. I have to baby my bumpers a lot more now every time I park, and I always worry about people hitting them. Thanks for the specs again on the wheels (I'm fairly new to the forum and hadn't seen your previous posts about them or the body). I should have guessed they were Epsilons, they look great, especially as 16s. Are the lips and barrels original or did you source them elsewhere? I am thinking of re-painting my centers gold now! Your car is amazing for sure, definitely up there on my list of favorites! 

And those bumpers do make a mighty fine bench/seat, I'll give you that! :P

1974 2002tii