• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Exactly Is In This Harness?

mikebontoft

In the process of trimming down the engine bay, this harness fell off. I think a couple went to temp sensors and the ignition coil, but what else is on this one? What's the relay box for? I don't have any emissions equipment left on it.

Guess I should find a PC to look at the service manual diagrams... just wondering if it's nothing I really need. I can make a new harness that's a lot cleaner.

post-45762-13858703982142_thumb.jpg

When things electrical and electronic became part of the 2002 emission equipment during 1972 or so, the factory made separate wiring harnesses for all the emission stuff that went on US spec cars.  That way they could use the same basic whole car wiring harness set for both US and Euro spec cars; the US emission stuff would all be add-on.  Easier to manufacture and also easier for us to remove lo those many years later.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If it is a '74 or newer, there is a useful resistor wire in there.  If you have not switched to a blue coil you may want to remove that wire from the bundle and use it to energize your coil. It is the bulky wire with clear insulation. At the very least it may be valuable to somebody else so don't throw it away.

74 Golf

Nothing else, the red coil I believe does not require a resistor so you can replace that entire bundle with a single wire from the fuse box (switched power, fuse 11 I think, whichever one you unplugged it from) to the positive terminal on the coil.

If you were using one of the wires for an electric choke you will need to run a wire for that too as well as the fuel shutoff solenoid if you have one (can use the same wire as the choke if you have both).

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

dual dcoe's so no choke for me! :)

Unfortunately the red coil does need a resistor... I learned that the hard way (blew up my igniter).

Well that's pretty cool then. Thanks guys.

dual dcoe's so no choke for me! :)

Unfortunately the red coil does need a resistor... I learned that the hard way (blew up my igniter).

Well that's pretty cool then. Thanks guys.

With the red coil you should use a 1.8 ohm resistor.  The resistor wire on the later non-tii cars is only 0.9 ohms.  Better to bypass that resistor wire and use the correct 1.8 ohm external resistor.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️