• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capacitor On Coil?

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

I recently took my new Bosch "black" coil off and put the old one back on. I had replaced it when I did my initial tune-up, after buying the car. I prefer the look of the old one and the fact that it says "made in Germany" on it. It seems to work just fine, so why not? The question I have is, what is this little capacitor for? Was it added to extend the life of the points?

015.jpg

020.jpg

(I ran a Pertronix for a bit, but am currently using points FWIW) Tom

Yes, it is bypassed during engine cranking to send full power to coil by a relay. Otherwise it will shorten the life of your points if it is removed. It should be 1.1 ohms. Never used it with a blue coil. If you replace your black coil with a red or silver one the label will say use a 1.8 ohm resistor otherwise the coil will overheat. This has happened to me.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

• Solution

That's random.  It won't really do anything, 'cause it's tiny.  As in, nanofarads... 

A PO addition, for sure.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thank you Toby, it seemed sort of randumb, but thought I would ask. 

HBChris, my car has the resistance wire in place of the ballast resistor, which I bypassed to run the Pertronix unit.  Back on the old wire now and running points.  I am pretty sure this little lentil is unrelated, but thank you for your input.   

Strange, can only imagine that this is an attempt to absorb voltage spikes, similar to what the condensor does with points. Maybe it was there with a different kind of ignition trigger and that was the goal?

Henry

'72 2002 tii