• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

32-36 Linkage

I paid a little attention to my 32-36 yesterday.  There was significant slop in the fast idle rod and it would rotate in its pivots before doing its job.  I made a couple of aluminum washers and now it works like it should. 

121.jpg

114.jpg

I have a few Webers and the other two did not have the same problem.  Worth looking at yours though, just in case. 

The pin on the linkage was worn, so I filled it and filed it round.

193.jpg'

194.jpg

195.jpg

The auxiliary venturies  were very loose, so I shimmed them tight with a piece of paper, on the non-hole side (which was why I looked into the carb in the first place). 

039.jpg

several cheap fixes.  drives much better now.  these little things do add up.

Tom 

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

no need to apologize...

I would contact Blunttech (which is usually all it takes)

http://bmw.blunttech.com/Contact-Us-17.html

and then try Pierce Manifolds, if necessary.

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Some good ideas, I am trying to get some slop out of my fast idle linkage too.  One thought I am having, will paper hold up in the carb body, maybe thin brass shim?  You can get thin sheet brass at many hobby shops and hardware stores, maybe the paper will hold up, but if not that would be an alternative.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Probably prudent to pick the proper paper. 

I picked poster paper...  personal preference.

I did use a little brass hammer to tap them in.

(3-28-2024)  

I repaired the worn pin on the rod that connects the vertical carb linkage with the carb by taking some brass tubing, cutting off a piece and pressing it over the worn pin.  I have a nice long piece left over, so will be glad to share an inch long piece if you want to repair yours.  Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I did the washer trick on the fast idle linkage, just did a cold start on the car tonight, finally getting enough throttle that it fires on the first try and doesn't die on the first couple tries, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

HA!  You're welcome.  Mine fired right up today too, but I had not made the connection.  Once I was inside the carburetor I found several problems.  I reset the float height, tightened the power valve mounting screws and the accelerator pump discharge screw.  Put in a new gasket and shimmed the auxiliary venturies.  Apparently I was a little light handed while assembling things during the recent rebuild. 

I made some new cardboard gauges used the float settings in the Weber book I have.   

137.jpg

b77b1853-71ba-48db-81d7-381282085612.jpg

I have been dealing with a very slow cold start, often accompanied by a backfire.  It sure will be nice if that is behind me.  Thank you for helping me diagnose the improvements :) it is hard to know which fix does what when I find so many to do at once.  Tom

(3-28-2024)