• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temp Gauge Jumps With Lights On

jrhone

New problem. Temp gauge jumps all the way to hot when I turn lights on at idle. Goes back to normal when I'm driving. If I switch on the electric fan while driving temp goes all the way up then goes back to normal slowly. It had an upgraded alternator and a new optima red top battery. Ideas?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

yes i did the ground mod to the gauge cluster, but this isnt that it flickers.  Turn the lights on and t goes from1/3 up which is where it normally reads to ALL THE WAY up and stays there.  Lights also dim and brighten when revving.  If I drive, rev the car or turn the lights off the temp gauge jumps back down to normal.  Otherwise with my lights on and stationary the temp gauge is pegged on hot.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

WoW Sounds like diptheria of the temp gauge, before sellin the car to an unsuspecting faqer, check this. My theria is start with basics, trade out the sending unit, I bought a brand new one and have ended up with my 40 year old part performing and the new in cds neighbs pool. Double check ground to gauge, the big tip though is dimming lights at idle, upgrades are great, if they work right, check all cons to batt, alt and reg. Drive down to homey OReillys and have the alt checked. I put a 320 rad in Riah and have been running hot ever since, will switch back to stock asap. Sounds like reg/alt troubles to me, not throwing right volts, ifin all cons are right

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Don't forget to clean your fuses....those instruments operate on very small voltages/wattages and are really sensitive to resistance in the form of corrosion or bad ground paths...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite