• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Air Dam Met A Raccoon At 80Mph Last Night

I was zipping along last night on a small highway when either a raccoon or cat RAN out in front of me.  When I got to my destination to assess the damage, this is what I came across:

post-42270-0-49883700-1375056470_thumb.j

Direct hit right in the middle of my fibreglass dam.  My question to the 02 community is what do you think I should do?  Repair this or simply get a new one?  When I bought this glass one, it didn't fit the car properly and we had to cut out around two inches in the middle so I don't want to go through that again.

I've read that the original dams were a molded plastic, not glass.  

So, who makes the best airdam?  Is this one good as far as durability and almost more importantly fit and finish?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-2002-Front-Air-Dam-Spoiler-Polyethylene-/251201866210#vi-content

thanks in advance

I believe fibreglass is relatively easy to fix, by those that work with the stuff. Poly & plastics may be more durable vs. roadkill, and there are some good adhesives out there now.

Since you already have the spoiler, & if you like it, fix it!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Fix it...if you can't find a fiberglass repair kit at your local auto parts emporium, try a marina or boat shop--lotsa boats out there are made of fiberglass and periodically need repairs (not from hitting racoons, though). 

Count your blessings--I got a coyote (in Ohio!) some years ago--$1300 damage to the right front fender, grille and headlight support bracket.  Coyote got away, but based on the damage he didn't get far.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Who makes the best air dam????  I do, of course.  http://www.probimmer.com/Pierre/kamei_repro_spoiler.htm

Seriously though, it looks like you have the same air dam I make.

The link you posted is the Ireland unit.  It's plastic.  In fact I have one on my tii.

If in fact you have the Kamei copy, then you don't need a front bumper.  The ireland air dam needs a bumper.  (I know you can run it without a bumper but it does not look right.)

Nothing will survive a racoon hit with no damage.  The one I make has a reinforced mesh embedded in the fiberglass along the top edge and the bottom edge to prevent the air dam from shattering in case you do hit something.

The picture you posted seem to suggest that you should repair yours.  

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Who makes the best air dam????  I do, of course.  http://www.probimmer.com/Pierre/kamei_repro_spoiler.htm

Seriously though, it looks like you have the same air dam I make.

The link you posted is the Ireland unit.  It's plastic.  In fact I have one on my tii.

No Pierre, I DO! as in the IE piece, haha.  We'll settle it on the Glendora road run on the 10th (though you drive like a crazy man).  But I'm in agreeance, repair the racoon killer and go from there.

Edited by AceAndrew

Andrew,

I am not sure if driving like a crazy man is a compliment, but I can say that the Glendora road run or the Mulholland cruise are fairly tame.   I think they are designed to be tame.)  They start at 9:00 AM.  I recommend a highway 33 drive.  We start at 6:30, drive 200 miles of SERIOUS and deserted roads and we are having breakfast by 10:00.

But I'll be there on the 10th with my M20 2002.  Glad to hear you will be joining the parade.  Good people, leisurely cruise and end up at your shop for some good conversation and some good grub.  Can't miss it.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Guys, just ponderin, if I beat u both thru the canyon could I score a free air damn................? Sounds like good times, screamin rubber and BMW fours doin what they were born to do, run like the wind............................................

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Guys, just ponderin, if I beat u both thru the canyon could I score a free air damn................? Sounds like good times, screamin rubber and BMW fours doin what they were born to do, run like the wind............................................

Pierre, I meant the "crazy man" comment in the most Nuvolari-ian of ways.  Looking forward to poking around the M20 car.

Dave if you beat me I'll drive my wife's mini van.

"Hand laid fiberglass"  hmph.  I see a lot of fiberglass mat with a bit of cloth at the top only.  Been making surfboards for 40 years, we are well into high strength and light weight... you won't see any mat glass on a surfboard.

That said, fiberglass usually uses polyester resin which is relatively brittle and intolerant of flexing.  BMW used it for the fairing on my K100RS bike, and I sure wish they'd have used a plastic material that wasn't so damn brittle.  OTOH, fiberglass repair is pretty simple.  The flexible plastics can be a b*tch to repair.