• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina Kugelfischer Racing Slide Throttle

Jeff

What are the venturis in the middle of the horns for?

Actually, not sure if the plural of venturi is venturis

Something of a a work of art (the whole system that is).  That is the fuel injector assembly.  Haven't seen one first hand, the aluminum "wing" is essentially the mechanism that holds the injector.  Most of the slide throttles had the injector placed either in the manifold or in the end of the injector stack (bottom side directed back at the center of the slide).  This is super efficient since the injector is dead smack in the middle of the trumpet).  Based on its design I am certain AlpinA designed it that way for a reason (air flow or some other such).  Still would like to see the actual injector which was apparently a special one, that if you ever needed to repair or replace would no doubt be up a creek without a paddle.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I think that this airfoil injector mounting was a big improvement for the Alpina slide throttle at high engine rpm's over the earlier Schnitzer slide throttle with the injector mounted on the other side of the slide closer to the intake valve.  

This slide throttle also has 4 small air bypass holes linking all 4 intake runners together hoping to improve low speed engine running.

When you compare the Schnitzer, Alpina and Schrick slide throttles the Schrick stands out has being the best made and moves the injector to the end of the stack and points it at the opening side of the slide has it opens.

How did you acquire that beauty: a friend of a friend? German eBay? There can't be many of these around.

Congratulations. Beautiful job!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

How did you acquire that beauty: a friend of a friend? German eBay? There can't be many of these around.

Steve

I have a friend that has one for sale (or did anyway) and is in Germany, for a straight up and down application though, several thousand Euro, minus injectors, minus pump, minus injection lines.  They do not come available often even in parts and pieces and when they do they are alot of $$$.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Steve

I picked it up from a friend, This Alpina slide throttle was originally imported to the US by Peter Herke in the 70's when he was racing a 2002 in Trans Am and B sedan. Peter told me he carried it on the plane back with him from Germany!

-Jeff 

I picked it up from a friend, This Alpina slide throttle was originally imported to the US by Peter Herke in the 70's when he was racing a 2002 in Trans Am and B sedan. Peter told me he carried it on the plane back with him from Germany!

-Jeff 

Good luck getting past our illustrious TSA with that now.  They would probably think it was a "cannon" or some other such.  Say uncle and head to the secondary search station for a more "thorough" look.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

-Jeff

Very nice. And that's a great history!

Steve

Good luck getting past our illustrious TSA with that now.  They would probably think it was a "cannon" or some other such.  Say uncle and head to the secondary search station for a more "thorough" look.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

So you're suggesting Frankfurt Airport doesn't have a separate security line labeled "EU Residents with Slide Throttles"? Not that that would help me! :-)

Regards,

Steve