• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Help, I Have Done Something Stupid - 2002 Brakes

Go to solution Solved by colorobo2002,

After my 4-year "engine" rebuild (during which time I bought a house, got married, had 2 kids, and apparently forgot how to read a shop manual), I am now finally reassembling my 1974 2002.

My brand new rebuilt front calipers, stainless flex lines and painstakingly bent new hard lines look awesome in front of the powder coated struts with fancy pants Bilstein cartridges, and I'm so excited to bleed and drive...

EXCEPT I PUT THE DRIVER'S SIDE STRUT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE AND VICE VERSA. ARRGH. Result: Brake calipers are in front of the axle, not behind.

Questions:

1. Is factory strut geometry different left vs. right? I.e., can I just swap backing plates and calipers side-to-side, or do I need to swap struts too?

2. Can anyone suggest a lining to fit stock 4-piston 2002 calipers with aggressive bite, reasonable rotor wear on the street, and moderate temperature capability for HPDE (especially if I get lazy and decide to leave the calipers front "just for now")? This is primarily a street driven car with Bilstein Sports, Direzza Star Specs and urethane bushings, if that helps you to calibrate to my desires :).

I'm a big fan of Hawk HPS pads for the type of use you are talking about. I previously tried Textar and PBR MetalMasters and was disappointed in both. I have Ferodo shoes in back from Ireland and they mate perfectly with the Hawks in my opinion.

Grover;  Where were you able to get Hawk HPS pads for our 2002s.  I have not been able to locate any for my 1975 using Google searches.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

Try Bits & Pieces for those Hawk pads (calling is best, talk to Monty): http://bits-pieces.com/racing-brands.html

1.)   ?

2.)  "STOCK" BMW TEXTAR or JURID  brake pads are super,

meeting all of your requirements - cheep too!$

Edited by c.d.iesel

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Grover;  Where were you able to get Hawk HPS pads for our 2002s.  I have not been able to locate any for my 1975 using Google searches.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

hawk hps ferro carbon pad pn# is hb206 f . 565

Thanks a lot guys. I looked again at my disassembly notes and this was actually the previous owner's mistake too... As long as I've owned it, this car had always run calipers forward. I'm going to leave it for now, unless I start having brake cooling trouble.

Bourke, I would have to swap backing plates and calipers side-to-side to keep the bleed screws pointing up (calipers) and to expose the other pair of caliper mounting bosses on each strut (backing plates).