• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Dash Vents On Ebay

Chamoix

NM/NA

I don't know about the price, but I know there have been several people here on the Forum that have been looking for these for a quite a while.

End time: May 30, 2013, 9:07:55 PM EDT

3009101010554040_1.jpg

View item:
BMW 2002 Early Three Piece Dash End Vents, Rare

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

These are used on (IIRC) all the three piece dashes that the early (at least pre-1971) cars were fitted.  They are actually defroster ducts that are meant to clear the vent windows so you can see your  outside mirrors.  They warped terribly from the sun (my '69 was delivered with a warped one).  Later cars just have the slots in the dash itself. 

The early '02s (pre January 1969 production) with two speed heater blowers had these outlets blocked by the factory as the blower didn't put out enough air to clear the windshield with them left open.  When more powerful 3 speed blowers were substituted after 1 Jan 1969, someone forgot to tell Hans on the assembly line to quit blocking the outlets.  My Feb '69 car had 'em blocked, and it was several years before I discovered this story and pulled the foam out of the passages... ('02 trivia for today)

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah, don't buy original BMW ones for use in a car.

(sorry Mr Coyote!)

they die when exposed to light!

It was on my list of things to do to make moulds, cast them out

of some material that WILL last,

and set the things for profit.

That never happened.

Underpants.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yeah, don't buy original BMW ones for use in a car.

they die when exposed to light!

that's a fact.  i felt like an idiot when my seemingly perfect, flawless set broke in two when i carelessly tried to reinstall it.

i'm gonna try to hammer a set out of sheetmetal.  i'm confident it can be done.  until that day comes, i merely avoid looking at the corners of the dash.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I'm just happy to finally see what goes there as mine didn't come with them and I haven't been able to find any pictures of the part until now. But yeah, I don't think I'll be spending $98 on them. Maybe $15 tops :)

'68 Granada Red 02