• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I recenty did a mild refresh of the tii, powdercoating the intake, valve cover, etc, and in the process replacing most of the gaskets, belts, and so on. Since putting it back together, I have noticed an oil leak that has been difficult to track. I have decided on a strategy, and please provide input if you think I am on the wrong track.

1. Start high, then go low. This leak is deceptive. It sort of looks like an oil pan leak, and it drips from both the front and the back. However, I did not remove the oil pan in the process other than the front few bolts that hold the lower cover. I think the drip is starting from up high. In any event, my strategy is that if I tackle the highest possibility, and the leak is gone, then Im done. If not, I can move lower.

2. Upper timing cover. In the process of the refresh, I removed the timing covers, belts, kfish, etc. I did not remove the head gasket, but in the process, the head gasket lost a bit of material, though it did not bend or crack. My feeling now is that perhaps I did not build up the material on the head gasket with the sealant, AND I may not have first tightened the bolts coming from the top of the cover down into the lower cover.... instead I may have tightened up the bolts going into the head first.... In any event, I think this would be the first item to tackle, as there's no massive process involved as there was in removing the lower cover ( crank pulley, kfish, belts, hold crankshaft in place, etc. etc.). If I can fix it here, it's just a matter of removing the upper cover. If not, .....

3. Move down to lower timing cover.

4. Oil pan

Guidance is welcomed....!

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Jim, I did use some of the black rtv in the corners, as described in the forum here. I also used a thin layer on both sides of the head gasket, but I think maybe not enough. It does not appear to leak in the corners, but more toward the front.

The only thing that concerns me in redoing the upper cover is getting more sealant under the head gasket, as this time I will not be removing the lower cover (maybe later, though). Any thoughts on that part? .....

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

There are dyes that you can put into the oil.  It works with Blacklight.  Dont know if you have access to a blacklight that will work great and the dyes are relatively inexpensive. 

From what im reading you sealed the issue areas correctly.  May just need that extra vision help.  Just an idea

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

you may want to reinstall the upper front cover, using new gaskets on the sides. I'd coat the head gasket on both sides, but be careful not to bend it up too far. Put an extra dollop in the two corners. Then you need to push it down and then in while starting the two front bolts. Continue to hold it firmly down while starting to install the six bolts from the bottom. You may need to put more sealer over the joint on the valve cover gasket .