• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feedback to James Taylor about his book BMW 2002

BillWilliams

No but...

There are errors in this book (perhaps minor), which will become "the doctrine" among readers who don't know any better. I've only taken a 15-minute glance through the book and saw at least 5 of these.

The U.K. '02 forum has already started to pick up on other errors. It would be nice to have a single thread collecting the errata, so either (a.) a future edition of the book could capture these corrections, or (b.) an interested reader could easily view these corrections.

That said, the book's photographs alone are worth the book's price!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'm always up for a new book about our beloved 2002s. But does this book offer anything beyond Mike Macartney's 2002 Restoration Book?

Just my 2c here - I've flipped through it a few times, and my first impression is that it's more about detailing the differences between each model/model year & providing information on what was authentic and what wasn't.

The pictures are great (they seem to be largely of cars that see use vs. garage-queen restorations), and much of the information was interesting to me.

Mike's book has far more in the way of advice & practical tips. I'm glad to have bought both, as the focus of each book is different.

I think this may be worth a shot:

(in the introduction James mentions he will post updates/corrections to the book on his website. The website also happens to have a contact form)

http://roverphile.co.uk/index.php?advice=yes

How 'bout that? It's looking like perhaps I should read this book before writing my review!

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I had a couple of things to chat with him about, specifically about the tourings. I did do the e-mail thing on his site but have not heard back from anyone.

The photos were nice and some much better than others. I wonder why he took photos of cars with "non-stock" parts and pointed them out in the captions rather than find a bone stock car to use in the photos. But all in all, a nice book to have on the shelf.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Just finished reading the book over the last week. IMO, certainly worth the price and more! Lots of great information about the changes from one model to the next and variations across the globe. It is not a guide to restoration but, as previously described, a guide to the models, options, differences, etc.. Photos are very helpful and the history is excellent. Certainly should be in every well stocked 02 library.

fjinva

74 2002tii

I'm always up for a new book about our beloved 2002s. But does this book offer anything beyond Mike Macartney's 2002 Restoration Book?

Good point. I know Mike's book had several errors, but, before Mike's book there was nothing. I've only flipped through this new one so far and there are errors. I expected more of this new book and was somewhat disappointed. Pity Mike decided not to be involved.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Guest Anonymous

Sorry that people have had trouble making contact through my web site. I had hoped to have the site upgraded by the time the book came out, but haven't been able to do so.

Meanwhile, I'd be happy to receive any comments or corrections on my direct e-mail, which is

roverjames@btinternet.com

Eventually, I'll put together a compilation of amendments and make it downloadable as a PDF from the web site.

Hope that helps!

James Taylor

Guest Anonymous

Sorry that people have had trouble making contact through my web site. I had hoped to have the site upgraded by the time the book came out, but haven't been able to do so.

Meanwhile, I'd be happy to receive any comments or corrections on my direct e-mail, which is

roverjames@btinternet.com

Eventually, I'll put together a compilation of amendments and make it downloadable as a PDF from the web site.

Hope that helps!

James Taylor

Hi James,

Thanks for an excellent, high quality book! Great pictures, and very informative. One thing I noted is in regard to the carb for the 1972 2002 US models. I believe it was in mid-1972, starting with VIN 2583465: changed at this time was the head, from the 121 head to the E12 head, and the carb, from the Solex 40-PDSIT 1bbl to the Solex 32/32 DIDTA 2bbl. Your book doesn't mention this carb until page 71, and then only for the 1502/1602 engine for 1975. A minor thing, I admit, but you were asking for corrections/additions. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,

Bob Strong

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...