• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting parking light set-up...

1972_Targa

I started the process yesterday to convert my euro signal lights to both blinker and running lights on my 1972 2002 Baur Targa. I expected to find the gray/yellow running light wires to just be hanging there. Instead I found that they're attached to a small bulb that inserts into the lower back of the headlight reflector housing. I imagine this is a Euro set-up for a parking light? My plan is to replace headlights with better units/reflectors. Is the current set-up probably original to the car (small parking lights and such)? Thanks in advance...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

That is the original deal. Switching that would really take away from a truly Euro car.

BMW may still offer what you have in a H4 set- up. I have the h4/parking light set up in the yellow car and kept the set up you have in the touring for originality sakes

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill, thanks. Had a hunch that you'd chime in on this one. My plan is to extend the parking light wires (and cut nothing) to get corner lights to function as blinkers/running lights, switch out the headlights, and save everything in case I need to convert back to Euro original. Advice/wisdom appreciated...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

You can get the correct H4 lamps from Daniel Stern Lighting. Go to http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html and look for the phrase "w/parking light" among the H4 lamps offered.

E-mail Daniel a description of your application and existing wiring. He may take a few days to respond but will be thorough and you can confidently buy the correct lamp from him.

Euro headlight bulbs, I have some NOS ones in both clear and yellow in my stash of Renault parts (they're Marchal lamps from the 60s).

They'll work in your original Euro headlights.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You can (or could) purchase Hella H4 headlights with the small "city light" built into the assembly from LaJolla Independent. I purchased a set from them for use on the '69 last year. I stumbled across them on their website.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"