• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shorter springs with regular Bilstein sports?

rlgMcoupe

Not quite sure what suspension components my car has from previous owner. I was under there today replacing the front sway bar bushings because they had completely cracked off. I noticed that my front struts are toast too, I can easily compress them by hand and they fall right back down with gravity.

My questions is can I use the standard Bilstein sport front insert that IE sells with my springs? And here's the catch; I don't know exactly what springs they are. Clues- Peeling label that says "Suspension Techniques" and they are painted gold color. I could not find and numbers for rate or anything. but they measure 9" from end to end. If stock is around 13" then 9" seems short enough to make me ask. They are the stock diameter and most everything else looks stock, perches, top mount, bearing, etc...

thanks.

Ryan

-------

'69 1600

The shocks you have may not be gas filled. Gas filled are the ones that push up all the time. My old BOGE shocks would settle all the way to the bottom with no issues. I also have another set of BOGE shocks that do the same and they dampen very well. So your shocks may still be good, but worth replacing if you are doubtful.

As far as Billy's fitting, the HD's and sports are the same dimension, but the valving is different. So they will work fine. My Billy HD's are paired with a set of Korman race springs which are very short and they handle well. Yes you will bottom out the strut and must be careful to slow down over some bumps.

But the short answer is yes, Billy Sports or HD's will fit with the springs you have.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

just watch the billy hd and your springs... i just fitted HDs and H&R sport springs and apparently(not cofirmed yet as im researching) HD struts are long stoke(travel) shocks and not for lowered vehicles causing strut to bottom out alot and in turn damaging your new shocks,sports are short stroke and are better suited to lowered cars so im gonna get to the bottom of it because i wanted a more comfortable ride but a lower ride hight... i will let you know if i find out any fact in this statement. goodluck

73' 2002tii roundie cr 5spd 2751420

just watch the billy hd and your springs... i just fitted HDs and H&R sport springs and apparently(not cofirmed yet as im researching) HD struts are long stoke(travel) shocks and not for lowered vehicles causing strut to bottom out alot and in turn damaging your new shocks,sports are short stroke and are better suited to lowered cars so im gonna get to the bottom of it because i wanted a more comfortable ride but a lower ride hight... i will let you know if i find out any fact in this statement. goodluck

If I remember correctly the strut travel is the same. The bottoming out is the reason everyone goes to coilovers. You just have to drive your 02 like you know it's gonna bottom out and slow down over a lot of bumps...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Guest Anonymous

I had the same problem with Billy HD's and IE stage 1's. I even tried to tie the springs to the perches but you really need to get them tight. And if you ever jack the car up they would unseat again. I went with some Korman front street springs and they work fine with the Billy's.

Guest Anonymous

I had the same problem with Billy HD's and IE stage 1's. I even tried to tie the springs to the perches but you really need to get them tight. And if you ever jack the car up they would unseat again. I went with some Korman front street springs and they work fine with the Billy's.