• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping battery up front with EFI

robsanab

With my FI conversion I’ll be installing a 318i manifold with 4.0L Jeep TB. I noticed a couple old posts where folks have installed a small Braille or similar AGM battery on its side in the existing battery tray location for other applications. Do you think this setup would enable me to route the air filter out over the battery? This would place the filter right behind that plastic cap at the corner (on a 75) which can then be removed for cool air.

I have no way to mock it up in order to measure the clearances. I have the 318i 90 degree bend intake tube, which I realize I may have to modify or maybe use something else to get everything to fit together… hence the question, I’m hoping to plan this out a little bit.

BTW, I plan on using a non-oiled type filter (like an Amsoil or AEM)… I have found some that have plenty of surface area but are pretty small in diameter.

Also, reason I am asking... I have the E30 parts to put the battery in the trunk, but I’ve realized lately that I use my trunk a lot… many times to its full capacity, and I don’t think I want to go with under the rear seat for various reasons.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

If you had the early car, you could drop a small battery down below where

the tray is, and it would fit for sure.

If you don't mind cutting and rebuilding your tray, you can do that-

I have used an Odyssey battery for several years, and it's been fine

for about half of a Braille.

Seems like an easy- enough thing to do IF you need the extra room

as you're doing the conversion...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If you don't mind cutting and rebuilding your tray, you can do that-

I have used an Odyssey battery for several years, and it's been fine

for about half of a Braille.

good ideas - I haven't looked into pricing but yes I am familiar seeing the Odyssey... I'll check em out.

as for lowering the tray... true there does look like some room down there... I'd rather not though seeing that the car has been painted and has a nice pretty engine bay... not that you'd see much with the battery laying on it as well as the intake over that... to make it look nice may take more work than I'd like... will look at it though.

I'm just thinking/hoping that I could make the room without lowering the tray... just not sure of where the filter ends up once an elbow off the TB is routed.

Rob

Didn’t think it was a stupid inquiry…

Can anyone with a 318i manifold installed tell me how much room they have below their filter? In other words distance between the filter and/or intake tube to the battery tray? Even without battery tray… I can figure it out from there.

NO ONE has set up their EFI conversion to keep the battery up front??? No opinions by any other EFI'ers?

Rob

It takes up even less trunk space if it's under the back seat.

;-)

just put a small AGM battery in the trunk. does not take up very much space.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

yall are killing me! humor me... what if I want the damn thing kept under the hood?!

I realize it's most common to move the battery to the trunk or rear seat. But in all the threads I've read I don't recall anyone stating that there is absolutely no room available to even set one of these new small AGM batteries on it's side down there. So, I wonder if anyone has even looked at it and considered it. If there is wouldn't that be another nice option?

I'm asking, does anyone think or know if there is room for a battery to fit in the existing battery tray using a 318i manifold?

This is one of the pictures from a recent post that made it look as if it might be possible. I just can't tell how much depth is there and of course I don't know where the intake ends up on a 318i manifold.

post-216-13667668295975_thumb.jpg

Rob

Didn’t think it was a stupid inquiry…

Can anyone with a 318i manifold installed tell me how much room they have below their filter? In other words distance between the filter and/or intake tube to the battery tray? Even without battery tray… I can figure it out from there.

NO ONE has set up their EFI conversion to keep the battery up front??? No opinions by any other EFI'ers?

I don't think it's a stupid question, but I think the answer is probably not what you want to hear =o) My open element cone filter rests on my battery tray. So given that, if you found a battery that only took up the space currently occupied by the tray, you'd be good to go. I'd imagine that'd be a pretty small battery though (concerns about CCA, especially in the winter).

Having said that, I can't tell you how EASY it was to put a small agm under the rear pax seat. I used a junkyard pulled E30 battery cable and was able to run it from the engine compartment aft without cutting any holes. I riveted a small piece of angle aluminum through the forward seat bulkhead and used it to strap the battery in place. That way no holes go through the exterior of the car. The carpet covers the rivets so it's undectable. I can take pics if you'd like.

As far as putting the filter straight down, it'd have to be a pretty small filter, but it might be possible. There's just a lot to get in the way there (TB, Starter, Ground Cable etc)

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

Ive often wondered the same thing. Is there enough room to point the throttle body and filter straight down off the 318 manifold?

Depending on the filter I though it might be doable.

even if you find room, that is a bad place. HOT. you want ambient air from outside going in the engine, not air heated by the radiator, block, head, etc. i think every bmw made after the 2002 came stock with a "cold air intake" system for a reason. heck, the normal 02's had a cold air intake through the much maligned but effect "snorkle tube". i never understood why the bmw engineers designed the goofy ti and tii airboxes to suck hot air from behind the block and behind the radiator.

2xM3

I don't think it's a stupid question, but I think the answer is probably not what you want to hear =o) My open element cone filter rests on my battery tray.

Having said that, I can't tell you how EASY it was to put a small agm under the rear pax seat. I used a junkyard pulled E30 battery cable and was able to run it from the engine compartment aft without cutting any holes. I riveted a small piece of angle aluminum through the forward seat bulkhead and used it to strap the battery in place. That way no holes go through the exterior of the car. The carpet covers the rivets so it's undectable. I can take pics if you'd like.

Oh I’m willing to accept any reality, it’s just that I don’t know what reality is, hence the question. And you answered it… obviously if your filter is about sitting on the tray then my idea may not work (at least with whatever configuration of intake you have). I just know there is lots of ingenuity out there and figured someone may have come up with a combination of parts that may have created the space needed to keep the battery there.

Thanks for your offer… I have the tons of rear seat applications bookmarked, so I’ll likely settle for something like that. Hell or maybe do my own thing and put it in the unused spare wheel well.

Rob