• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Replacement Options?

jackrabbit

I live in So Cal where the summers are not 02 friendly unless you're driving by the beach or at night.

A higher efficiency two row radiator is more than adequate. But, it also gets clogged a lot easier. And, when it's time for the radiator shop to service it and rod it out, there is a good chance they may clog up at least a few of the coolant fins with solder because they are quite a bit smaller on these high efficiency radiators. If you have any crud in that engine block, the radiator will get clogged, especially the high efficiency variety. So, it's really important you flush out the engine block etc. There are chemical additives you can add to just water which are non-corrosive and which lift the rust from your block. You mix it with water and run it for a couple of days before dumping everything and flushing out the block.

I've recently obtained a radiator with a new stock spec core, and it works really well for me, better than my old high efficiency radiator.

Edited by Milo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnS said:

Having that bung is one of the other benefits of that radiator along with that angled outlet hose.  The cheaper version that I bought has the three row core, but no bung for a sensor or for draining it and has the straight outlet.  Does your car have AC Jim?  What do you use the sensor for?

Yes- Behr dealer installed ac. In the middle of retrofit/conversion to R134a.  New receiver/drier, 10x18 parallel condenser, Blunt T style compressor bracket and Sanden  clone compressor, 12” Spal pusher fan, new TXV plumbed to old Behr evaporator.  Sensor was originally installed by a PO to turn on the old AC condenser fan.  I’m also adding a manual override switch under the dash since I’ve deleted the stock engine driven fan.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 6/2/2022 at 8:50 AM, NickVyse said:

This arrived this morning - €225 from a French generic motor parts supplier. Looks great. Has a drain/blank for a sensor on the side and mounting tabs for a fan shroud.

IMG_0735.thumb.jpg.236550ce93818f3c9878c139edb129bc.jpg

IMG_0738.thumb.jpg.4423b27dae89124a5c438565d3c8455f.jpg

I contacted company and they do not ship to the USA. ? Good price. 

=====================

74' 2002tii (Polaris silver)

66' Porsche 912 (Metallic silver)  

4 minutes ago, JohnP_02 said:

The Wallothnesch high cooling rate radiator is on sale now for $396 with shipping and the current additional $20 discount.

But the one with the angled and outboard lower outlet, and brackets for the 1975-76 fan shrouds — W&N call it the air conditioning version — appears to be $615 without VAT, plus shipping, less $20. If that’s correct, there’s still a hefty premium to have them solve your lower outlet issue. And if you don’t have a 1975-76 model, but are a stickler for originality, you might not want those shroud brackets… (I added brackets for my ‘76, but not for my ‘73.)

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...

So i got several quotes to re-core my original radiator and seal some of the holes. $500-700 total ?

I ended ordering a Walloth-Nesch radiator and it just arrived. I bought the one for the AC set up and with the kinked outlet .... Cost= $629.59..(with tax and shipping) I have to say it is SO NICE and well made! very impressed. Came from Germany in about a weeks time. 

Fits perfectly without any modifications for my 2002 74tii.

C9442014-D02D-441B-8043-3C6D6A6DCCF1.jpeg

Edited by Karlosism
add pic
  • Like 4

=====================

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Per the box my Walloth Nesch 3 row radiator came in, it’s a BMW product made in UAE.

That is great to see, I hope the non-a/c ones are OEM as well. I just ordered two of them since they were on sale and both of my 02's need new ones. I will report back once they arrive! 

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

After installing the new radiator the car sounds and feels way better. Not sure if this is just in my head. I felt I could push car harder and car kept up! 7E982B0C-5CBF-4BBD-AA39-4DECD763497F.thumb.jpeg.4b9d0884519714b51912c02ef0f4f337.jpeg

=====================

• 1 month later...