• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drive shaft u joint replacement

nickstulz

it appears that there are no snap rings on the driveshaft u joint caps, that the steel was stamped to lock the caps in place. so whats the deal hear for removal? im thinking grind/file the stamp burrs back and try to push the caps back and forth a bit to see if theyll actually come out. if i can get them to move a bit then press them out and proceed to press in a new u joint.

i got the center bearing bolt off and the center bearing replaced. that was a bit of a tight squeeze, holy cow. had to go buy a cheap 24 mm wrench and put it on a bit of a diet on the boxed end. 4 pipe wrenches, a custom breaker bar and all my weight and a little heat later later i got the bolt loose with a big squeek/pop/crack all with no damage to the driveshaft. that was a relief after all that it put me thru.

U joints on 2002 drive shafts can not be easily replaced, it requires the shaft to be machined and re-balanced. After going through 3 used shaft that were sent to me as " in good condition" and sent back because of bad joints I purchased a rebuilt one from Ireland Engineering, they use the correct BMW joints , balance the shaft , install a new trans end bushing and center bearing.They sell them exchange at a good price, rebuilt shafts aren't cheap(,www.bmw2002.com ) is their site if they don't have one in stock they will have one made for you.

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

If you put a your front half on the rear section that is on the post above, you will still have to have the complete shaft re-balanced , not cheap to have done. Ireland's rebuilt drive shaft is $325.00 exchanged if you check on there site.

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

Hi there

In Portland Oregon, Driveline rebuilds and stocks replacement driveshafts for many European cars including the infamous 2002. No driveline shop in Edmonton would touch it and they all said call Driveline. I purchased one but did not take advantage of the $75 (?) core because I did not want to pay $75 to get $75 back. The drive shaft is perfect. They were nice to deal with too.

Happy holidays!

Bill Patterson

post-17087-13667667551752_thumb.jpg

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

you will still have to have the complete shaft re-balanced , not cheap to have done

$45, locally, last time I paid Drivelines NW to do it...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL