• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

where can I buy these connectors-headlight plug

1971Ginger

This plug always gives me issues and my headlights stop working ( I have to bump it or puon the wires) I want to fix this by replacing the connector. it gets hot when the lights are on and I don't trust that.

Where can I buy these connectors and how should I replace it.

should I just splice the wires or purchase the real connector

post-20026-13667666290074_thumb.jpg

post-20026-1366766629103_thumb.jpg

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Guest Anonymous

Heat means there is electrical resistance, possibly caused by unclean connectors, or just a lot of amps flowing through the connector.

These connectors can be taken apart and cleaned but suggest you make a drawing showing which wire goes into which hole before you disassemble.

Each male pin is secured in the plastic surround by a small barb. Depress the barb and the pin should slide out. Clean with some wet/dry sandpaper and if you have it, some Deoxit or other over-the-counter stuff, then reassemble.

The female side of the plug can also be disconnected, cleaned and so on...

To follow-up to Honolulu's post, look real carefully at the plug and at each wire you will see a small slit. Up in that slit you will see the barb. (sounds dirty doesn't it?) Take a paper clip or sharp pick and depress that barb as you pull the wire out.

Then, when you put it back together, you may have to bend that barb back up to catch on reassembly.

"Simple once you catch on"

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

This plug always gives me issues and my headlights stop working ( I have to bump it or puon the wires) I want to fix this by replacing the connector. it gets hot when the lights are on and I don't trust that.

Where can I buy these connectors and how should I replace it.

should I just splice the wires or purchase the real connector

can running H 4 headlight (65/55w) without relays be enough to cause that heating up?

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Can't say if it will or not. Every car has a personality. What I did on my 72 was buy the Painless Performance relay kit from Summit. worked great, installed easily and was imho a good value. It is not original, so that may kibosh the idea, but it was a good kit.

Imho

The female sockets may have been stretched, enlarging an air gap between the pin and socket. Maintenance and retightening of the female pin sockets, inspect the wiring, and check the headlight switch for resistance. The addition of a relay circuit always helps and reduces strain on the main headlamp wire harness and makes the lights really perform. Stealth mods are for ones that want to retain originality and can be done.