• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct rattle can color for steelies...

jayamasaki

Can anyone post pics and also advise what rattle can color/brand to use that matches closest to stock 13" inch steelies ? So far i have used 2 and they look horrid. (ford silver, and krylon grey) results are less than stellar.

pics would be great, brand and color.

thank you in advance guys.

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

this was rattle can wheel paint from autozone. can check brand when i get home if you like.

DSCN5328.jpg

Yes, please. Thats looks pretty good. Up close does it look passable ?

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

and without an Krylon clear coat overspray and it looks very good.

If you have 2002 factory alloys, definitely use the clearcoat; for steel wheels, just the dull aluminum looks fine. Lots cheaper and easier to find than the Wurth paint.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys !

Im doing the 1600 steelies, not 2002. Dont know if it makes a difference. They have the "dog dishes" lil moon caps.

Another delima is running the beauty rings or not. Its looks a little too volkswagenesk to me and you will not see as much of the steelie.

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

The Color of Silver is the same 1600/2002. There are at least two types of early hubcaps and trim rings. The second Picture is my 71 1600 with the optional rings--you can see that a lot of the wheel is visible--my vote is run the rings!

smvjbk.jpg

1600-fall.jpg

WOW those on the bottom left are great looking. where those an option ? Sadly i have the little rings only. (pictured)

post-18106-1366766528275_thumb.jpg

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

i have the little rings only. (pictured)

images_100.jpg

your rings are after market and can still be bought...the bmw rings to fit with the dog dish hubcap is like the one above, bottom left

do the bottom left ones have a specific name or nickname ?

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

Last time I rattlecanned I used AUTO-K rim paint. A bit on the darker side, not so silvery, and good quality as I remember it. But I don´t know whether you´ve got that brand over there..

For my recently purchased Borranis I´m going with a 2-k paint to make it alst longer. Found a PPG truck paint, real close to Polaris (as someone said that is close to Borrani, and I like it=)). Fine grain metallic and not so silvery. Very hopeful.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.