• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flywheel

todd.prout

Im doing a 5 speed conversion on my car and bought a 228mm clutch kit to upgrade from the 215mm. Im finding it quite hard to find a new or even refurbished 228mm flywheel and was wondering can i use the 228mm clutch kit with teh 215mm flywheel and if not does anyone know where I can get a 228mm flywheel

Im doing a 5 speed conversion on my car and bought a 228mm clutch kit to upgrade from the 215mm. Im finding it quite hard to find a new or even refurbished 228mm flywheel and was wondering can i use the 228mm clutch kit with teh 215mm flywheel and if not does anyone know where I can get a 228mm flywheel

The locator pins are in different locations.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The 228mm flywheel comes on some 2002s, some e21s, and also the first M3. Sachs is the most likely/common source for this flywheel, though JB Racing makes a pretty awesome 8lb alum flywheel in this size. (my fave).

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Since we're on topic of flywheels and clutches...

Is there any difference in the bell housings of the transmissions? Or can the clutch and flywheel be changed to the larger size when you do your clutch?

Would the benefits be worth it?

Cheers Chris

'72 2002

Lots of Brit and Euro Motorcycles

A couple of American Cars (dead in the yard)

..and a pile of magazines with the vehicles I want next

personnally, i would not call the 228mm flywheel an upgrade. it is slightly bigger and heavier. M10's do not produce enough hp to need a larger clutch mating surface, and when they do, modern clutch materials like carbon kevlar provide that grip in a much smaller/lighter package.

2xM3

I'm with Marshall on this one- I don't think it matters either.

I have raced with a 215 for years, and had no problems other

than that Sachs 215 pressure plates are not suitable for racing....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL