• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT: How to remove and ruined tranny fill plug

Grover

Hi guys. On our Lemons car we have a transmission fill bolt which has been absolutely destroyed. It does not have a recessed allen hole, rather it is/was just a more traditional 17mm (I think) bolt. It has obviously been abused grossly on numerous occasions and it is now impossible to get a good purchase on it, not to mention the fact it is on there incredibly tight. I've tried a heat gun, breaker bar on vice grips, etc... Have made ZERO impact. Any suggestions on getting the sucker out of there?

I am guessing from you description that the external "head" of the bolt is rounded off or destroyed. Given that, I have had luck using a pipe wrench as the aggressive teeth really bite into the metal and gets tighter as pressure is applied. Might want to try "shocking" the plug by smacking the wrench handle with a dead blow hammer. Only do this if you can't break it loose by hand. Be careful, you could conceivably crack the pan.

I had a friend that had one of the internal hex head plugs stripped. I was able to get it out using an EZ out. I think most problems with stripped heads, internal or external, are caused by owners not using the correct size tools. Nothing ruins, rounds off fasteners faster than a tool that "fits", but not the actual correct size.

Best of luck getting that plug off !!!

D. Jeff Gomon     -    1970 BMW 2002
1991 BMW ///M5
2005 BMW X5 4.4i

2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

Sears has 'em and they're really handy for totally boogered up bolt & nut heads. Always take mine to salvage yards "just in case."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+1 weld a nut to it , wheel nuts work well a good mig weld inside the nut , plus the heat from welding helps as well .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I just weld an old cut off half inch extension I have to them and take them out with my impact gun. A nut would work as well.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop