• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok. I did it. And I am man enough to admit it.

I've long said that you're not a real musician until you've had an instrument stolen, you're not a real software engineer until you've lost a week of code, and you're not a real mechanic until you've drawn blood. I'm sorry to say that, by those metrics, I am a real musician, a real software engineer, and a real mechanic.

But I haven't stabbed myself in the eye with a screwdriver. Yet.

I have, however, had numerous emergency room visits for metal fragments in the eye, even while wearing safety glasses.

(BTW, if you need to go to the hospital for a head MRI scan, and they ask you the question "have you ever had metal in your eye," don't say "YES but they took it out" because you can't walk the answer back.)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I've long said that you're not a real musician until you've had an instrument stolen, you're not a real software engineer until you've lost a week of code, and you're not a real mechanic until you've drawn blood. I'm sorry to say that, by those metrics, I am a real musician, a real software engineer, and a real mechanic.

But I haven't stabbed myself in the eye with a screwdriver. Yet.

I have, however, had numerous emergency room visits for metal fragments in the eye, even while wearing safety glasses.

(BTW, if you need to go to the hospital for a head MRI scan, and they ask you the question "have you ever had metal in your eye," don't say "YES but they took it out" because you can't walk the answer back.)

Hmmm....I flew helo's for 26 years......

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Rob

You never mentioned if you hurt your foot during this episode. I take it there were no broken bones and you escaped unscathed I too can say I am a musician and mechanic since I met those criteria. I had my Takamine acoustic stolen out of my van and have cut and painted myself with POR15 more times then I care to admit.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Rob must have much larger feet than my size 10.5s - or was on a concrete floor. While trouble shooting the Lucas electrics on my MG Magnette, my foot was pressed into the front yard by the left front. It wasn't as bad as when the Shetland pony (mean little so-and-so) stepped on my foot.

I thing I sense another chapter in Rob's book!

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

lol...

i did put one on the 911 i tuned last week (tune box) and did the same thing...but i was in the back of the car for an obvious reason so i didnt ran over anything...ouf !

fwiw i put a big dead on paper with rubber bands over all the units i sold with a huge warning, and also mentions it 2 or 3 times in the manual...

glad you are ok Rob...

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I once had CV joint bolts back out on one side in an intersection.

Two weekends ago, the right rear CV fell off the axle of my tii at 2nd ave and 23rd street in manhattan. Fixed it enough in a bus stop to drive home. So much for carefully checking the bolts on the CV joints...

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net