• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just to clarify, flywheel resurfacing in prep for 5-speed

I've searched a bit but have found mixed advice.

I have never taken a flywheel in to get resurfaced, I am completely new to all terminology and guidelines. I have a '73 2002 which I am converting to 5-speed. I have the getrag 245, replaced all seals/fluid, I am ordering a 228mm clutch kit with e21 323i throwout bearing, and I also have to get the flywheel resurfaced and install with new bolts (I might just clean and loctite the originals).

Anyways, I've read that I need to leave a .020" lip when resurfacing the flywheel. Is this correct? Does the lip need to be on the inside or outside? What exactly should I tell the guy who is doing the resurfacing? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, like I said, this is all new to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

If you are taking it to a reputable shop who does this sort of work all the time Im sure they will see you right .Its a fairly straight forward process.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

If you are taking it to a reputable shop who does this sort of work all the time Im sure they will see you right .Its a fairly straight forward process.

+1, If the shop in question doesn't already have the spec; I'd find a shop that does.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

at the risk of sounding like a caveman, and/or hack...

if you have any experience hand-lapping anything before, you might want to try what i did. i took a used flywheel and a FLAT sharpening stone with some very light oil (3-in-1, or similar, even WD-40), and spent about 20 minutes doing figure-8's along the wear surface until i got the majority of the surface relatively clean-looking and uniform.

i can report that after at least 200+ miles of freeway and stop and go traffic (speedometer crapped out recently, another thread topic...), i have had absolutely NO chattering or other issues with my clutch.

just thought i'd share. i suppose if you are planning on racing or autocrossing you might not want to try this method, but i, so far, have no regrets...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa