• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to stop license plate light covers from melting?

austinmf

Just got new shiny license plate light housings. nice pretty silver.... noticed my old ones were melted and when pulling the bulbs, noted that they are the spec wattage...

anyone figure out how to keep them from melting? Other than not driving at night :)

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Hmmmm, the ones on my car have done the same thing over the years...I wonder if there is a LED replacement bulb. That might be the answer as they generate very little heat compared to an incandescent bulb.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I have been using the correct bulbs for 30 yrs and have never had that problem on a square-lite car. There are 2 bulbs that fit, but you want the smaller of the two. According to bmwfans.info it's a 3W bulb, P/N 51 16 1 873 558. The MSRP @ the dealership is crazy ($6.82), but I've found them at auto parts stores locally (PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.). You want the one that is 1 1/8" long.

Bob Napier

Thank you All! I like the LED thought but like the the retro look. I appreciate the tip from Bob. I will track down the lower watt. The PO could have had a larger watt bulb in...no telling what or when they were melted. No chances with the new ones!

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Hi--

Here is OSRAM's data sheet for 12 volt festoon base lamps. The license plate lamp is the 6428 type 3 Watt, nominally 28mm long (measured to the contact points; maximum overall length is a couple of mm longer).

I have also installed LED bulbs, from Super Bright LED's [http]. The interior light is their model 4210-WWHP3; it is still a bit bluer than the incandescent miniature lamp, but it provides a little more light. The license plate lamps I have are 3610-NW4 (rather blue, but it looks good on a California license plate). They took a little jiggling to get the contacts to work (note the LED bulb polarity; that does not matter with an incandescent bulb). And just now I noticed that one of the 2 license plate bulbs has lost most of its brightness. An OEM incandescent bulb would last longer than that!

OSRAM festoon-base lamps GPS01_1057062 120725.pdf

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

how to stop license plate light covers from melting?

use the right lamp. It's the 3 watt one. There are 10 watt ones, 6 watt

versions, probably a 15 too if you looked.

'Festoon' lamps are a fiasco- like standards, it seems a new one was invented

every time a manufacturer used one...

But the right lamp won't melt the cover.

(channelling CD a bit here, but not enough to cut and paste a book in after...)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

CD exactly. Where is he? I owe him a steak dinner. And all of you all actually. Could not pull this off without all of you taking time!!

I am not hot on the LED look as I am gong for as vintage as possible!

I think Bob nailed it. I will track the 3 watt down and run (drive) with it!!

... I like the LED thought but like the the retro look...

There is a market for this:

LED replacement lamps but with the proper tint to mimic incandesant lamps.

Could even have some that flicker yellow and grow brighter when moving to make people think you still have a 6volt system in your old car.

Whomever runs with this idea- you are welcome. Just send me a couple of the bulbs for the license plate lights.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes