• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caution: Fixed Gear Bicycle Riders

Slavs

Yikes. I live in pretty hipster-centric area of Portland, and while there are countless fixies tooling around I have to say they're not as bad as it sounds the LA/SF fixie-DBs are. Never had anyone whip past me in traffic, or even blow a stop sign other than on some quiet side-street. As much as I hate having to pay for them, the bike lanes around here really seem to keep the traffic contained on the major roadways.

i know i am, i'm sure i am...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Due to the massive influx of riders doing it for the trend, obviously you're going to get some dick heads. I ride fixed daily. no brakes. I can stop quicker than 95% of the lances and understand the roads quite well.

We are not all bad. The trend will fade and the ones that suck will either die or get over it.

If one hit my car though.... poor guy would be snow plowed off the road with my 02 hahaha.

i'll also defend the cyclists a little myself....

i ride a bike (with gears AND brakes- its an awesomely 80's pink racing bike, very fast) more than i drive my car. and the key, as marsattacks said, is: "cyclists who want all of the rights of a vehicle with none of the obligations."

riding or driving is a conversation, and its incredibly stupid, as a cyclist with all your soft parts exposed, to assume that motorists aren't on auto-pilot and expecting other vehicular pilots to behave the way most do. AND, i wear a helmet.

and as irritating as the trend-mongering fixed gear cyclists are (equally so, the yuppies in spider man outfits on expensive bikes whom i often find myself playing chicken with)- there's nothing like some jackass in a mercedes or (i'll say it) some boring modern bmw, on a cell phone, flying by, cutting it way too close thinking their random errands are more important than mine, to boil the blood and really rile up the self righteous. therefor, i do take the lane, not to interfere with commuters, but to make sure i'm visible, safe from getting doored by a parked car, and communicate that you have to pass me the way you would any slow driving grandmother. and i try to very humbly convey my embarrassed apologies, when i fuck up and know i'm wrong, and didn't get hit.

please don't hate me armond, if we meet on the streets of san francisco, i'll endeavor to yield the right of way when its yours, and thoroughly admire your car as you/i drive/ride past.

i'll also defend the cyclists a little myself....

i ride a bike (with gears AND brakes- its an awesomely 80's pink racing bike, very fast) more than i drive my car. and the key, as marsattacks said, is: "cyclists who want all of the rights of a vehicle with none of the obligations."

riding or driving is a conversation, and its incredibly stupid, as a cyclist with all your soft parts exposed, to assume that motorists aren't on auto-pilot and expecting other vehicular pilots to behave the way most do. AND, i wear a helmet.

and as irritating as the trend-mongering fixed gear cyclists are (equally so, the yuppies in spider man outfits on expensive bikes whom i often find myself playing chicken with)- there's nothing like some jackass in a mercedes or (i'll say it) some boring modern bmw, on a cell phone, flying by, cutting it way too close thinking their random errands are more important than mine, to boil the blood and really rile up the self righteous. therefor, i do take the lane, not to interfere with commuters, but to make sure i'm visible, safe from getting doored by a parked car, and communicate that you have to pass me the way you would any slow driving grandmother. and i try to very humbly convey my embarrassed apologies, when i fuck up and know i'm wrong, and didn't get hit.

please don't hate me armond, if we meet on the streets of san francisco, i'll endeavor to yield the right of way when its yours, and thoroughly admire your car as you/i drive/ride past.

Well said, sir. To call it a "conversation" is perhaps the best analogy I have heard.

Riding a bike around cars is incredibly dangerous. I have been hit more times than I can recall and I am incredibly cautious.

I used to commute exclusively on a bike in SF and the amount of animosity and ill-will that some display towards cyclists is down right scary (I witnessed my roommate getting rundown by an off duty cop who turned out to have some serious issues, and this was 100% unprovoked!)

Having said all that, the stupid breed more quickly than the wise, and there is some appalling behavior from cyclists of all disciplines.

I would ask though, as a motorist, to remember that statistically, the safest place that a cyclist can be is well into the lane behaving as a normal vehicle. Please remember that, and that that guy on a bike might be riding home from work to his family.

Living in an urban environment is challenging, and I will not excuse bad behavior by cyclist, but let's not make it more dangerous than it needs to be!

Many years ago I put a bicyclist in the ICU for an extended stay. The memory of his face as it smashed my windshield will be with me until I die, just as clearly as when I've been shot at. I get frustrated by them too, but give them their 3 feet minimum and wait patiently if necessary. I don't really like hearing the various comments about intentionally taking one out, even if said in fun. The reality of violence is not glamorous or funny in any way. -Rojo

... To call it a "conversation" is perhaps the best analogy I have heard...

As such, having a conversation with an idiot (either the motorized type or human powered type) only brings you down to their level. Shake your head and sigh.

Ya can't teach stupid.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Due to the massive influx of riders doing it for the trend, obviously you're going to get some dick heads. I ride fixed daily. no brakes. I can stop quicker than 95% of the lances and understand the roads quite well.

We are not all bad. The trend will fade and the ones that suck will either die or get over it.

If one hit my car though.... poor guy would be snow plowed off the road with my 02 hahaha.

And the point of riding a bike on public streets with no brakes would be what?

They weigh to much?

Having brakes is for pussies?

Too cool for brakes?

Don't know how to install them?

Can't afford them?

What is it? I'm intrigued...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

And the point of riding a bike on public streets with no brakes would be what?

They weigh to much?

Having brakes is for pussies?

Too cool for brakes?

Don't know how to install them?

Can't afford them?

What is it? I'm intrigued...

have you ever been on a fixed gear without brakes? Stopping is really easy if you aren't a pussybagel.

But then why have brakes on your car?

Why not continue the theme.

Brakes are only needed to avoid the other idiots on the road or to compensate for your own miscalculations. If you plan and execute everything just right, you have no need to shave off any speed other than matching revs or applying a little back pressure on the pedals.

I'm far from that perfect and there are WAY too many idiots out there.

Ummm, brakes are good.

Fixed gear bike on the velodrome. Go watch for a while (Hell, the Olympics are on) and see how many of them skid to a stop on the track. (especially on $100 silks)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes