• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine runs for 15-20 sec after turn off with key out!

mtriple

The only thing that was replaced was the distributor. specs:

side drafts

85 amp alternator

electric ignition (it is the IE distributor brand new unit)

MSD ignition

Red Coil

What in the world could cause this??

TIA

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Your timing is waaaay out! When I brought mine home it was set at 10 deg at 2500rpm and "dieseled" for about 5 seconds. Scary

I cleaned the carb, nada, set the timing and fixed 1 vacuum leak, problem solved.

If it still does it, you will need the M20 repair :D

'72 2002

Lots of Brit and Euro Motorcycles

A couple of American Cars (dead in the yard)

..and a pile of magazines with the vehicles I want next

Are you running an electric fan? If so depending on how you have it wired it could be acting like a generator when you turn the key off and supply just enough power for 5 sec or so to keep the ign system working.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Are you running an electric fan? If so depending on how you have it wired it could be acting like a generator when you turn the key off and supply just enough power for 5 sec or so to keep the ign system working.

Interesting thing you say Byron, Great Scott!

So; if I have a big enough fan wired into my ignition system I could run the car without the HP drain of an alternator. Provided I go fast enough to keep the propeller spinning. Might even be the solution to perpetual motion.

Hmmm,

post-2154-1366766251668_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

If it has an electric fan it can back feed the ignition & make the engine run on , I believe a resistor is needed on the ground side of the fan to prevent this happening.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

So; if I have a big enough fan wired into my ignition system I could run the car without the HP drain of an alternator. Provided I go fast enough to keep the propeller spinning. Might even be the solution to purpetual motion.

Hmmm,

Yeah, just hook that fan up to an electric motor, get that car up to speed and just keep on goen.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I believe it was timed correctly. It drives excellent, but the engine insists it wants to run after I take the key and walk out of the car. 20 seconds is a bit much.

No electric fan and I believe the diod was replaced by indie trying to troubleshoot. Also ignition switch was replaced thinking it was faulty.

I've been in WTF world for a few weeks now...

When was the last time you had the head off?

Could be that you have a load of carbon on your head / pistons / valves and that is glowing hot and giving its own ignition.

I think having your idle too high can exacerbate the issue since there is more stored energy in the flywheel.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

That is it , a diode, it was late when i answered that , we have had a few cars come in with the same problem, diode did it :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Check for voltage at the coil when you turn the key off. If there is power there you need to figure where it is coming from. If there is no power then you have a problem with carbon build up, idle speed, plug choice etc.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

When was the last time you had the head off?

Could be that you have a load of carbon on your head / pistons / valves and that is glowing hot and giving its own ignition.

I think having your idle too high can exacerbate the issue since there is more stored energy in the flywheel.

the year before last year when I had the proper valve guides installed is when the head came off. Idle was set at 900 when I test drove the car..

Guest Anonymous

MSD ignitions, at least the older versions, came with a diode that was put into the line when you installed the MSD to prevent current leak back that made the engines run on after you shut off the ignition. My engine would run on forever without the diode so this is probably not your problem but it is an interesting quirk of the MSD system.

Have fun