• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly upholstered seats (old vs new)

BDB

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share here. I just got my seats reupholstered from a shop in Burbank called E&C Auto Upholstery. I was going for the old school Recaro N-Joys look. My first impression is...I don't hate it but I'm not in love with it. Mainly b/c the fabric's sheen on the side bolsters and rear of the seat that he recommended is a lot shinier than I expected and wanted. I wanted more of a matt black color w/o the tacky sheen. Also, i am not in love w/ the two toned headrest. If anything I'll go back and have the headrest made in 1 color. I'm gonna give this 30 days and if I really can't stand it anymore, I'm gonna curse myself and have the shiny material removed and redone with what I wanted in the first place (kicks self in ass a dozen times). Yah, I'm gonna be that picky if my ass is gonna sit on this every day.

NEW:

7580940320_4888dbcac6_c.jpg

OLD:

5706285626_111fc4155e_b.jpg

I think the shiny sides will be fine after you use them for a bit. I agree the headrest is a bit extreme (it's not TOO bad, but I wouldn't have gone there). Overall the seats look nice and comfortable. Just get the headrest redone and then see how you like it, I bet it will be great.

I went with black vinyl sides (very shiny) and black cloth in the center on my recovers and it's just fine. You don't really see the shiny on a daily basis IMO.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

ya know, if you are the type of guy who uses a greasy hair product to slick down your hair, in time, your headrest will match the darker portion.

just a thought..., or a suggestion.

what? don't have hair???

then nevermind....

they look fine, btw.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Well, if you kick yourself in the ass, at least you have some nice new seats to set that tender bottom down in.

2 tone looks fine. If anything gets redone, maybe just the headrests.

Try this: sit in the car, grip the steering wheel, look out the windsheild and down the road. How much of the seats did you just see?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Try this: sit in the car, grip the steering wheel, look out the windsheild and down the road. How much of the seats did you just see?

Steve.

Haha, good point! When I woke up this morning, I looked at the seats again. Seems to be less shiny ;)

I am going to call to get the headrests redone. Better make the call before 5pm.

Bob

Yeah I just called the installer and he's cool with redoing them both for $30. I can can live with that. It'll take another 2 weeks b/c I live about 60 miles from the shop so I can only visit on Saturday. Anyways, I'll be installing the seats tonight. I can't wait to drive my baby again!