• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadening material at Home Depot?

Koblenz

Is there a chance of any "roofing" aromas?

it's been in the car for about 3 years and so far no tar smell...

actually, i don't believe there is any tar in the stuff i used...it's no more than a heavy rubber...plastic sheeting with a very thick, sticky adhesive backing

i got it at home depot or lowe's...i don't recall but i've bought several rolls at each store...the last i picked up at lowe's had a foil backing, used in home heating & air conditioning installation...for sealing duct work....

Yeah, look for the stuff that is used for window flashing and it's a Butyl rubber adhesive roll used for easy flashing of window installs (I'm a GC;-). Very sticky and no smell. It would work well for that 'thud' sound, but none of that thin stuff is going to offer much in the way of temperature control...for that, you need thickness..

Only use it if you NEVER plan to remove it or do any metal work. That material gets gooey around the trans tunnel because of the temps and tends to seep down into a pile on the floor. I never noticed a tar smell, likely because of all the other odors of the old car(gas, hot vinyl, exhaust...). Mass dampens vibration, so anything will help. Personally I'd never use a cheap sound deadening material again. If you are really stuck on using it, don't use it around the trans tunnel or near the exhaust routing on the car. The kickpanels are where a lot of the noise comes from, I did three layers of dynamat there. My car still isn't up and running, but just by tapping arounnd the body I know it will be quieter.

Good point about using it on the tunnel. Beginning to think I need to put some research into this. Again, Florida get hot, the 02 contributes. With our rain, its not if it will leak but when.

Originally I was not going to cover the floor pans but with the road noise I have reconsidered.

Back to the drawing board or sell another kidney on ebay.

Thanks for the raam link. New product for me.

guys,

road noise reverberates in hollow cavities such as doors and kick panels. so seal off those areas. in my experience doing 4 cars now, doors make the most difference. also, consider using underbody coating in the wheel wells.

bob

I like the stuff from Home Depot. Peel N Seal I think it's called.

Did the doors recently and it made a big difference.

post-19655-13667661283421_thumb.jpg

post-19655-13667661284886_thumb.jpg

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

I like the stuff from Home Depot. Peel N Seal I think it's called.

Did the doors recently and it made a big difference.

TK

I did the same but I left about 1/2" around the door panel plug holes. I found the door panel plugs too difficult to push in if there was Peel N Seal on them.

Bob

TK

I did the same but I left about 1/2" around the door panel plug holes. I found the door panel plugs too difficult to push in if there was Peel N Seal on them.

Bob

I actually got slightly longer ones from the auto parts store and it seemed to work well.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

I used the stuff from Home Depot as well when I was putting in new carpet. You can find the pics here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,304266/highlight,doug/

Worked well and the car is a whole lot quieter.

Haven't done the doors yet. I plan to do them when I get the tii painted.

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik