• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filter housing gasket

I use sealant on that gasket (both sides) and even on the threads/shoulder of the bolts that hold it to the block. On two occasions, I've had oil weep up the bolts and leak from under the bolt heads. I've even "resurfaced" the filter housing face to eliminate leaks, in the past. (quick belt sander clean-up).

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Guest Anonymous

The original gasket came with no sealant. Most of the car's gaskets are designed to be put on dry. Using sealant may help, especially if you have had a leak in that area before, but the next time you take it apart it'll be harder and messier.

I recently placed new seals on most of my engine and the valve cover and timing covers are leaking like crazy because I used no sealant. The oil filter head cover is perfect and has no sealant but I put in a new filter head.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

You should never....NEVER have to use sealant on a valve cover gasket. If it leaks without sealant, you have another problem. Check straightness of valve cover and timing cover to head tolerance.

I replace VC seals every other valve adjustment +/-

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

You should never....NEVER have to use sealant on a valve cover gasket. If it leaks without sealant, you have another problem. Check straightness of valve cover and timing cover to head tolerance.

That's exactly why I didn't use sealant. Apparently it's slightly warped. The valve cover one is not the biggest problem the timing covers are though.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant_362db4b5627570b47635289efbde0f9b.jpg

Paint it with that on each side. No leaks and you can reuse a gasket in a pinch like at a race track.

I recently had a section of that gasket blow clear out. What a mess.

Make sure the mating surfaces are flat, tighten it well and retighten after a couple of heat cycles. I don't believe in sealant for a pressurized application like this, because I have seen it act as a lubricant and let the gasket slide out.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.