• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature Guage

PeterCS

My temp guage on my dash only moves marginally from the blue - makes me worried that my guage or sender is faulty. does not seem like an accurate reading to me.

Where is the sender on the engine?

many thanks,

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

Mine used to do the same. Turned out the temp sensor (just above the water pump) was bad and so was the thermo switch between the hoses. Engine was actually running very hot was was reading cool.

My temp guage on my dash only moves marginally from the blue - makes me worried that my guage or sender is faulty. does not seem like an accurate reading to me.

many thanks,

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

Mine is doing the same thing. I just replaced the thermometer and hoses and there was no change. Looks like I need to replace the temperature sender.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Beg or borrow an Infrared temperature gun and aim at the water outlet where the sender is to see what is going on.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

many thanks,

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

It's here:

Untitled-2.jpg

Cheap and easy to change.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

As everyone said for for the sender first they are cheap, I did that on mine and it solved the problem until something went wrong with the grounds and now it's going up into the mega overheat range when the car was just started....sigh

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

While you are in there...

Grounds.

Check, clean, tighten the ground cables from the battery to the body, from the alternator to the body, and from the engine to the body. This makes up the other half of the circuit for the sensor.

If you pulled the instrument cluster, grounds again. I usually add a star washer under the nuts that hold the temp & fuel guages to the circuit board. Some people also add an additional ground wire to these points using some small ring connectors.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes