• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did you get a 2002?

Pluto

Hi guys, new member here. Need some sagely advice. BTW great site.

I have been searching for a project car for years. The 2002 is on my short list and finally found a nice running one. As luck would have it, I also found my difficult to find non BMW project dream vehicle, albeit a mildly rusty rolling chassis, a week earlier. I can only choose one.

So, why did you buy your 2002?

What do you wish you knew before you bought it?

Anyone else have such a dilemma as me?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the other car?

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

I picked an 02 because I was looking of a light project car I could use as a daily driver in a city.

Requirements for me were:

fun to drive

efficiency power/displacement ratio

seemingly reliable

No smog requirements (basically pre 76)

Relatively inexpensive to buy/maintain (compared to aflas or porsches)

And to me, a 2002 was the best at all of those.

Studebaker Champion Lowey Coupe - I expect most people wont even know this car, but it is a classic. Spruced up with a modern drive train, it is quite nice. Restoration will cost lots of $$$ over many years.

The goal ....

1954 Studebaker Champion - fvr 2

The only thing not period looking is the wheels.

Very much a collector car like the 2002.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1953-1954-studebaker-champion-regal-starlight-starliner.htm

I was looking at a '35 chevy pickup and a '64 mercury breezeway. Picked up a '76 Malaga on the cheap, got hooked. Worked a '34 Harley VL in the midst. 14 years later still working an '02. Must need better meds.

I grew up in the back seat of a 2002 (Mom and Dad got one in 72, when I was 4!)....so I had no choice: it was genetic. I'm on my 12th one. Easy to live with, easy to repair and maintain, good spritely handling, quick enough to be fun. Quirky, nerdy, easily made faster if you have the $$...and of course the ladies love 'em (I just made that last part up....most "tolerate" them and pat me on the head in a patronizing manner) *laughing!*

FYI: My father was a Studebaker owner (Silver Hawk and another Lowey-crafted Hawk I can't remember) back in the 50s/early 60s before going European. Beautiful cars!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Similar to Paul, my dad had one when I was around 5 years old. Certain things just stick with you.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

A good friend in high school in the early 90s had 3 or 4 02s and we used to fix em and run them around. I always wanted one.

Fast forward 17 years and I traded 67 Vw bus for one and couldn't be happier.

My wife loves it too. We've driven it probably 1000 miles since we got it 2 months ago.

And my 3yo daughter named it Rose.

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

Back in the mid 80s I would go to lunch at a Pizza place in Santa Rosa and the owner had a black 2002 he would put a car cover over it in the parking lot. I thought, that is a good idea just buy a high quality car and take really good care of it. Twenty five years later I bought what I am pretty sure is the same car to go with a 73 tii I already have. I have had plenty of other cars and presenty have a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible and a 55 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hardtop. but my beat up old Ceylon 73 tii is my favorite. It gets decent gas mileage is easy to tinker with handles great and the people are really nice. If I could only keep one car it would be the little gold 2002tii Photobucket

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

growing up I only knew what Chevies were. My dad was a Chevy man so I grew up and learned my way around Chevies.

then in June 1974 I graduated college and went into the Navy. One day in October a high school pal pulled me aside and, just like in the movie "The Graduate," he said only one word: "BMW"

I knew nothing from nothing BMW, and my Navy pals were buying Jags and Triumphs and Datsuns and Jensen-Healys. I stopped into a BMW dealer and tried to get educated. In this case, the salesman simply tossed me the keys and said, "If you drive this, you'll like it so much you'll buy it."

That guy, Willy, was one of the most truthful & honest people I've ever met. I bought the car 2 days later and am still driving it to this very day. The cosmic forces aligned and put me into the driver's seat of one of the greatest cars ever built.

Carl

I would add the 02 community. This site is fantastic

+1 very true. the aspects of the 2002 is a natural filter of people. For example, the recent Bay Area 02 Swap and Show had a food truck and local companies had donated prizes for a raffle. That's the kind of car show I want to go to.

absolutely true and still amazing. A couple of years later I found out that 7 other guys in my college Navy class had also purchased 2002's shortly after graduation.

then in 1978, I'm zooming down I-5 near Irvine and spot a 2002 up ahead. I pull alongside to say hi ..... it's another classmate !! We pulled off and said hi, hadn't seen each other in the 4 years since graduation.

I don't think Ferrari owners can tell great stories like that.

Cheers,

Carl