• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake clutch pedal pedal box replacement

71bmr02

wonding if anyone has ever converted 02 to a hanging pedal arrangement? Seems I read or heard somewhere the 1600's had hanging pedals, may be a myth . if there is a relatively simple conversion what parts are needed.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

The RHD 2002's had hanging pedals. I've read of some hanging conversions; it involves welding up the pedal box hole and lots of re-cabling. Curious why you want to do this? The stock pedal box is pretty nice when rebuilt with new hardware.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Without going into a dissertation, i find the pedals about near impossible to adust for any decent heel and toe driving. guess it's just part of the tutonic design of the 02, bus steering wheel, high seating position, antique pedal arrangement.

I'm not running the design down, my pedal box is near perfect, bit of surface rust on the outside, but I currently have it out of the car and was just wondering about converting to hanging pedals.

With all the high tech and high performance "stuff" BMW is famous for, why in the world did they use that particular design?

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

With all the high tech and high performance "stuff" BMW is famous for, why in the world did they use that particular design?

They were not as famous at the time and the 1600/2002 saved the company from becoming another company. Mercedes was days from buying them if I remember the story.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

no doubt it must work, because there are a lot of 02's being raced. My brakes are in good shape and I'm using a 32-36 with the weber specific linkage (not much different than origional). When i get on the brake the gas pedal is too high. I've adjusted the brake out and the gas down but it just doesn't work like i want it to.

Thanks

G H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

The only reason I dislike my pedal box is that my car was originally an automatic, therefore the tunnel sticks out more... I have to take my shoe off to operate the gas pedal (size 13 feet) :D

But pedal response is nice.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

if gas pedal too high, make the brake pedal a tad higher to match. the push rod is adjustable.

and, make gas pedal a little lower. adjust the point where the lever clamps to the pedal rod. bottom left in this pick. make sure after adjustment you still have full range of throttle motion.

2012-03-10_13-04-57_230.jpg

key to both is to minimize the slop in the brake system. the brake pedal pivot and the vacuum booster actuator lever are the main slop locations. just a tough of slop in these locations leads to an inch of brake pedal travel before anything actually happens.

adjust the pedals so that when you are pushing hard on the brake, the gas pedal (at idle position) is even with the brake.

2xM3

The only reason I dislike my pedal box is that my car was originally an automatic, therefore the tunnel sticks out more... I have to take my shoe off to operate the gas pedal (size 13 feet) :D

But pedal response is nice.

a/ wear thin shoes. fat running sneakers or boots won't work

b/ beat on the tunnel with a bfh to get more clearance. not too far that it interferes with the clutch slave.

c/ remove all the insulation behind the carpet to the right of your foot. there is A LOT between the carpet and tunnel on a stock car..hard and soft. cut it all out.

i do/have done all of the above. plenty of space.

2xM3

I and many others find the 2002 pedal arrangement perfect for proper heel/toe in track/race conditions.

this. In fact, the E30 sucks so bad I gave half a thought to putting a 2002 box into it...

Throttle pedal linkage is arbitrary. What I have done is bend the brake pedal

so it stands a little straighter, then changed the linkage ratios on the

throttle so it sits at the right height and has a progressive action.

You do this by setting the rods to work over and under center-

the nonlinear response does a pretty good job of counteracting the

nonlinear response of your average carburettor...

Drilling an extra hole or 2 in the linkage ends is all you ever need to do.

Oh, and on the race car, that was a motivation for ditching the rear drums- as they heated, the pedal travel would get longer...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Marshall--thanks for posting the photo of your throttle cable setup. I am going to a cable setup for the new engine and seeing this helps.

Gale--I converted to a dual-pedal overhung Tilton triple master setup, but that is for the track car. Took quite a bit of work to fabricate a bracket I liked and I had to relocate the steering column a bit for clearance (added a mid-column u-joint). I retained the stock gas pedal and made a custom pedal box. Not something you would need on a street car.

Fred 74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I have a pedal box rebuild kit form BLUNT to install. While it is apart I am considering heating and bending the clutch and brake pedals to gain 1/2" clearance at the gas pedal. The bends would be above the linkage and at the pad to keep them level across the top, thus making the pedals slightly shorter. Are there any reasons this would be a bad idea?

Marshall--thanks for posting the photo of your throttle cable setup. I am going to a cable setup for the new engine and seeing this helps.

Gale--I converted to a dual-pedal overhung Tilton triple master setup, but that is for the track car. Took quite a bit of work to fabricate a bracket I liked and I had to relocate the steering column a bit for clearance (added a mid-column u-joint). I retained the stock gas pedal and made a custom pedal box. Not something you would need on a street car.

Fred 74tii

Hi Fred,

more details/pic in my build thread on this page

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345762/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,450/

2xM3