• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I remove front and rear windshield and reuse the seals?

Hello all, quick question. I'm in the process of rust-proofing my '02 and feel it's necessary to remove the front and rear windshield as I suspect some rust underneath the seals. It seems both seals have been replaced, they are both in great condition. Is it possible to remove both front and rear windshields and reuse the seals? Plus, how can I take these out? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks in advance

Mikey

Hello all, quick question. I'm in the process of rust-proofing my '02 and feel it's necessary to remove the front and rear windshield as I suspect some rust underneath the seals. It seems both seals have been replaced, they are both in great condition. Is it possible to remove both front and rear windshields and reuse the seals? Plus, how can I take these out? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks in advance

Mikey

You can't. An auto windshield pro definitely can (if they want to, they typically would rather not risk it on an old car). Compare prices for having a professional remove and install it (ie: paying them for two sets of jobs) vs. the cost of new seals and choose the appropriate option.

thanks for all the replies. The seals both seem to be in very good shape, they're not dried out at all and have no cracks anywhere. Is removing both windshields even a DIY job or should I have a pro do it? I would really like to do it myself if possible, I wouldn't mind buying new seals depending on how pricey they are. How much should I expect to pay for new seals?

thanks for all the replies. The seals both seem to be in very good shape, they're not dried out at all and have no cracks anywhere. Is removing both windshields even a DIY job or should I have a pro do it? I would really like to do it myself if possible, I wouldn't mind buying new seals depending on how pricey they are. How much should I expect to pay for new seals?

If the seals are in good shape, you can do it, although it is tricky.

You must CAREFULLY remove the lock strip first, and this is probably the hardest part.

After that, starting at the top of the seal on the inside, you can sort of fold it back while gently pushing out.

You can break the glass, though.

Blunts seals work great. I have one in my 02 right now.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

are the windshield seals good for both front and back? There seems to only be one on the website. Are there any write-ups on how to properly remove the glass?

No they are front and rear specific Email directly and Ill get you OE seals front and rear. We have the entire BMW catalog loaded onto the site but its not live yet. We are having issues figuring shipping before we launch it. So for now you wont see all the OE stuff but we still have it. Email me and Ill personally help you

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com