• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

head question

7002chris

...the one that's less cut, less warped and less corroded.

And less cracked and has less bearing damage.

Full stop.

If they're both NIB then the E12, but only if you're able to get

the pistons you want to get the compression you want for

whatever you're using it for.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The E12 head is easier to find pistons for, and has slightly larger valves. Has a tri-spherical combustion chamber vs hemispheric on the 121.

However, if you want to keep your car authentic and it came with a 121 head, then stick with that--the performance difference between the two is very small unless you're going the dual carbs and cam route...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

well what it is i have a 71 car the motor is getting tired so i bought a lower mile motor out of a i think 74 and they both have a 121 head. Then yesterday i bought a parts car 75 2002 and when pulling the motor noticed it sayed e12. I was planning on just selling the motor out of the parts car but than also noticed now that the vin tag says 2002tii so my next question is should i just use the whole motor out of the 2002tii in my car does it have more power and compression or maybe i better cam?

well what it is i have a 71 car the motor is getting tired so i bought a lower mile motor out of a i think 74 and they both have a 121 head. Then yesterday i bought a parts car 75 2002 and when pulling the motor noticed it sayed e12. I was planning on just selling the motor out of the parts car but than also noticed now that the vin tag says 2002tii so my next question is should i just use the whole motor out of the 2002tii in my car does it have more power and compression or maybe i better cam?

No such thing as a 75 Tii...They stopped in 74. The VIN tag says "2002/200Tii"...its a dual purpose VIN tag...the only thing that would make it a Tii is the actual VIN number. Tii's had a certain number. In response to your question..the e12 is a newer head. That said, its a bit more efficient...BUT it depends on the pistons and cam and carburetion. Those all have to match. you can't just slap a e12 head on a car with the wrong pistons. The Tii e12 head also has no place for the mechanical fuel pump. So if its got the fuel pump holes its not a Tii head. The Tii had the same cam as the standard 02. Compression depends on the pistons in the car...My original engine had low compression pistons..new engine high compression...With the age of these cars...alot of the time they are not original and who knows whats been put in a car over the years. In some cases you gotta pull the head and look at the internals.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com