• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else excited about the Scion FR-S?

I sure am, so I was wondering if any of my other fellow 2002 drivers are eyeing it as well. Or if you're not enthused about it, I'd be interested to hear your reasons also. For me, I like it because I like naturally aspirated 4 cylinder sports cars, I hate front wheel drive, and I prefer hard tops to convertibles, and I feel this has been missing from the automotive market basically since the E30. OK, maybe an RX8 would fit that bill, but that Wankel is a bit weird. I probably would have liked a 118i if they had bothered to sell it in the US, but I was turned off when I drove a 128i. It was just really heavy and expensive for a small sports coupe. Anyway, I've seen a lot of people knocking the FRS for low power output, but 200hp propelling 2700lbs. for only $25K seems fine to me. Well that's my thoughts, just curious what you other 02ers are thinking.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1112_2013_scion_fr_s_first_drive/

-Carl

I've been following this for some time. Interesting little car co-developed by Subaru (hence the boxer engine). I've read some awesome reviews of how it drives/handles, but I wonder if it will be as hard to work on as other Subarus?

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Guest Anonymous

We were racing at Laguna a few weeks back and Toyota/Subaru had rented the track to film a commerical. Pretty sure the car they were using was not stock, but the Mercedes camera car has a hard time keeping up.

I will post a short video when I am back at home. Looked and sounded great!

a

I didnt know they were bringing one out. I think it will be a cool car! Its about time someone brought out a good RWD sports car. I keep seeing these really heavy cars. Lighten them up boys! This will be a car to watch.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have not been as happy with my 2012 Sorento SX as I had previously hoped. This might be something to look into trading for when released, just means I have to keep the Kia for another couple months :(

1976 2002 - sold

1983 320i - sold

1986 325e - sold

I wish they would've named the new car Celica GT-S instead. Scion's cars are, to me, lame and boring. But its good to see a fairly light, hoonable, RWD car being made again.

Still, I think a tastefully modded 20 year old Nissan 240SX will still wipe the floor with this thing. All while costing thousands less, and looking better, too!

18x9522540184lug.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

At least it probably has a dipstick... I kid!

Seriously, it might be a fine engine: Subaru-sourced 4U-GSE 2.0L flat four with 200-hp. I just really get the chills thinking about trying to do any work in an engine bay that crammed full of stuff pointing in the wrong direction.

Edit: Here is an interesting bit of information on the car from Edmunds: http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s/2013/2013-scion-fr-s-10-things-you-dont-know.html

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Thanks for the link, that was a good read. I'm not convinced working in the engine bay will be all that bad though. It was a blissful, sublime experience to change the timing belt on the front my 2.5 subaru just a few weeks after doing the same job on a friends Lancer and anothers Mazda where the wheels and engine mounts have to come off in order to access anything. Of course on the other hand, I admit that valve adjustments on that car are quite a bit cumbersome, especially compared to <15min it takes on the 2002. Thanks for sharing the opinions everyone!

-Carl