• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension Install Tomorrow

bmw2002tiidriver

So tomorrow I am starting the install of my IE stage 2s and Billy Sports. I have been searching the forum for advice. I have already installed the Sports in the rear. Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me to make this go more smoothly? TIA.

Also, I know there is a certain way you have to install the spacers and washers at the front, but I can't remember the order, so if anyone could post that up here, that would be great.

Mitch

Just a caution -

Even if you use the shaped washer under the strut bearing, make sure it allows the bearing to rotate. Some new strut bearings have excessive rubber which contacts the washer. Had to grind the O.D. of my washers down.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1. Grease your strut bearings, whether new or old

2. Hope you have the Bilstein spanner to tighten the threaded cap for the strut.

3. Be very careful removing the three bolts at the bottom of the strut--one is a through bolt and will break off easily due to rust penetrating the threads. They're also easy to round off 'cause the heads are shallow. And don't use any other bolt--they're safety wired for a reason!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I liked this thread...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289061/

Helped me on my complete rebuild. Check your strut bearings and make sure they are tight... a New Meyle I just got was loose in the housing... not pressed in and staked correctly.

Just noticed they are made in China. hmmmm so much for quality control.

I bought new bolts that have safety wire holes from Blunt. They are $6.50 a piece... if yours are good, I would reuse, use locktite and safety wire them.

They are not that hard to get off if you pay attention and get a good bite... socket set made it happen, easily.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

does anyone have a good source for a spring compression tool? my ex-wife disposed of a beautiful double disc assembly I bought 20 yrs ago that had a handle on it that you turned to compress a disc on top of the spring and a disc on the bottom that held everything in place but I can't find a tool company anywhere that's ever seen such a device. Help!!

TX2002

Dallas, Texas

'75 2002

'08 M6

'99 K12RS

OK so I finished my install for the most part. I ended up cutting half a coil up front because the new springs raised it a bit. I'll probably end up cutting another half coil and the taking the upper spring pads out of the back because I want it a bit lower. It feels great though. The ride is stiffer, but definitely not unbearable. I'll post pics to my Flickr and Photobucket accounts when I have finished for good and everything has settled. Thanks again for all your help guys.