• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Stainless Exhaust

bills2002

Mine is on its way...I'm so excited! (dork.)

I will post here how the install goes. Are there any lessons learned out there for the newly redesigned unit? What doesn't come in the "kit" that I should have on hand for the job?

Jason, I've already read your posts on the subject ; )

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Mine went on fairly easily a month ago...definite increase in response from the prior bosal and supersprint exhaust, then again the top end of my engine is breathed upon with a 292, etc. Absolutely love the sound! Not too loud, deep and not raspy... Just ordered the step down header tonight...

New and improved? Very interested in how it goes...mine has been tweaked twice and still rattles and vibrates at various revs, and depending on the temperature. Really bothers my wife. They did replace the first one I bought, this is the 2nd one... It was professionally installed, by the way.

Dave V. in NC

It is easy to install.

The trick is to twist the section that goes over the rear subframe. This well get everything to clear. I don't know how to explain it better, but bolt up the first part, leave the second part loose and just rotate it.

You will not want to use the clamps they supply. They will not adequately clamp anything. Get the 2 bolt traditional style ones.

I have had the original style one break countless times in many different places. Ultimately, it was down to the welds. They tig welded it and whilst it looks nice, it is not strong enough. I've since gone back and MIG'ed it myself and it now its holding up great.

In the end, it's a great exhaust system.

But, be prepared for a large infusion to your vocabulary !!

It just isn't made as well as it should so far as plug & play is concerned.

It took a friend and I several hours of fiddling to get it on, but since, it doesn't rattle and makes good noise.

Also, double-check to be sure it's the right one for your car.

Ireland is NOTORIOUS for kitting it up in the box with the wrong rear piece so it won't go over the axle or mate up with the valence in the rear !!

I love mine... but it took a long time, and much frustration, to get there !!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I've been running mine for near a year and a half now everyday and I still haven't gotten tired of the note.

Like with any exhaust, after you install it you will need to run it a little while to let the system settle into place and then go back in to tweak and tighten again.

The one thing I have seen is that when ordering you need to make sure to be honest with your model year. There have been a number of early car drivers that have ordered the later Center exit system thinking that they'd be able to run it without issues. There ARE differences on the hangers in the rear section that make them non-interchangeable.

If you're an early car driver and want the center exit you can just chop the center little bit out of the tailpipe and weld it into a nice little S bend.

I purchased this same exhaust system over a year ago from IE just to make sure that I had one. It has been in storage until TODAY!! I'm soooooo happy that my current system finally crapped (CRACKED) out.

My 02 is in the shop now getting it installed. It should be out by next week.

I can't wait to see the difference.

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

...It should be out by next week....

I have taken mine in and out so many times that I can get it installed, by myself, with a few rags strategically placed for clearance, in about an hour. No lift, two hands, and hand tools.

But two guys with a lift should be able to cut your old one out and have this installed with in a half hour, without rushing. No exaggeration.

Now, getting it to stay put, thats another story.. most cases.

You guys using traditional clamps. Do they deform the metal so that the system can't slip apart? I have always liked the fact that i can have the system out in minutes for work on the car..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

The two bolt clamps do not deform the tubing anymore than the IE "straps" do. In fact, it takes less force to make them work. Since I switched to them, I haven't had it come loose even after 10,000+ miles.

For anyone who is struggling to install this, I swear I can make it easy (I have installed it laying on my back in 15 mins more than once!)

Fit up all the sections but only tighten the bolts at the exit of the down pipe. Then rotate (twist) the 2nd section (the "hump" piece that goes over the rear subframe) until you have the clearance that you want. Just tighten everything down with your two bolt clamps and bob's yer uncle.