• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ideas for parking light stripped out hole fix?

robsanab

all my body holes are stripped out for my parking lights. The next size up screw would require reaming out the holes in the lights and not sure if the larger head would seat nicely... I just tried filling the holes in the body with JB Weld and that failed (maybe I need to grind off the paint surrounding the holes?)

I don't have a welder or easy access to one. Anyone come up with an ingenious idea where you don't have to take the wheel off to get to the back of the parking lamp with a nut?

Rob

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

cool... just looked them up... I do have a rivet gun, does it work the same way? Can i use my rivet gun or is it a specialized tool?s

wait, does that also mean I'd have to change out the original sheet metal screw with a machine screw to fit the nutsert?

Rob

You could also just put a large aluminum pop rivet in the hole and use your old screw.

oh, I see... good idea... because they have holes and the sheet metal screws will just grab hold of that!?!? I assume as long as the rivet is sized properly it won't spin?

Rob

Yeah, the nutserts do require going over to machine screws-

and it's worth buying the 'keyed' kind- although they are

harder to fit, they never spin. Also, get steel if you can find them....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You could also just put a large aluminum pop rivet in the hole and use your old screw.

oh, I see... good idea... because they have holes and the sheet metal screws will just grab hold of that!?!? I assume as long as the rivet is sized properly it won't spin?

sorry John, this didn't work for me... the rivet kept spinning... tried it a few times and even tried to back it up with a washer thinking it would hold tighter. nope.

just for yalls info, I was worried about reaming out the holes in my parking light fixtures... but upon playing with it I found that the next size up screw (#8) didn't take much reaming at all... can't remember the drill bit size, but it barely had to cut much to make it through... so, i ended up using the next larger screw and that worked slick and quick. next time though I realize i may have to splurge on a rivetnut set up.

Rob