• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first break down after 50k in the 02

nbristow01

Well over the last 18 months I have put a bit over 50k on the 02. 38k last year alone. Only a couple minor glitches but was always able to get back up and running withing a few minutes. One of the "glitches" about 6 months ago was with my IE 5 speed conversion shifter linkage. The block with 2 pins that connects the shifter output shaft on the tranny to the shifter. One worked free when I was driving and the shifter just flopped to the side. Luckily I was in 3rd gear and was able to drive to a friends house (Brad Fenn) for a quick weld job. Well today the other pin on that linkage let go...but in 5th gear on the freeway. So I was still able to get off the freeway to a parking lot. Called a tow truck and had the car brought over to Brads. Tow truck showed up at about 1030ish. I was only about 3 miles from Brad's since I tried to get as close as possible to his house before I had to stop. By 1115 the car was in the air and by 11:30 I was back in biz. Now I have an Audi that has stranded me 4 times in the first 3 years I owned it. Can't weld a computer. My point is these cars are remarkably reliable. It is one thing to read or hear about it but quite another when you actually do the steering wheel time for yourself and experience it.

post-17424-13667648549346_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667648551498_thumb.jpg

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Nick -

I guess you are the proper "long term tester" for some of the aftermarket products ;-). Glad you were able to get the car fixed quickly.

Funny you mentioned your Audi. Tonight, just before dinner, I noticed a car's horn going for a few minutes near our main street. I walked out to find a guy driving a 2003 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro trying to disconnect the battery. The horns are really loud in that car! I couldn't easily locate the horns in the front bulkhead, so we decided to locate the fuse box. The cover is on the driver's side dashboard end under an unmarked cover. We pulled fuse # 40 and all was well. He said he had just bought the car and thinks there is something wrong with the ECU. I asked if he had recently driven thru some water puddles (we have had a ton of rain here) but he said he didn't. The guy was in his late twenties and called me "sir" when thanking me. Yes, I feel old after that.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hey Nick,

The wheels look real nice.....Any thought to switching out the big bumpers? Lighten up the car and add a nice set of chrome bumpers to match the wheel... :)

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Hey Nick,

The wheels look real nice.....Any thought to switching out the big bumpers? Lighten up the car and add a nice set of chrome bumpers to match the wheel... :)

Actually I have really been considering it. That cantilevered weight has to be a big power suck. Any idea what a total swap runs? Brackets bumpers etc etc?

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

....Looks like we have our next DIY tech project for Oct. Good point for discussion at the next C&C. I always liked the shorty bumper (74 turbo look) on the square cars. I have a rear bumper (shorty) saved just for the right square car to come arround. With 4 roundies look like I can offer up the rear bumper cheap. Email / call ...me we can discuss details have lunch in Coppell / Lewisville this week. ..Also, have a couple of front bumpers ...72ish....

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Got the mirrors from BLUNT. No vibration issues. I can see fine out of the driver side, the passenger is partially useful but balances the car. You car looks SWEET. Love seeing cars come fresh from paint. i have mixed feelings about the big bumpers. They look OK but the Euro ones look nicer. I will most likely take the plunge next spring. I like your rims as well. Always been partial to weaves. Just have a very BMW look to them

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I had the exact same problem with my 5 sp. conversion shifter linkage--in my case the one that Aardvark sells. I have now broken 3 of them, the first 2 quickly replaced by aardvark. It is a real pain to be stuck in the middle of some intersection unable to move (mine always broke when I was in neutral, so no limping home). On #3, rather than get another one from Aardvark, I had someone drill out the back of the bar stock and weld the pins in on both sides. I think there is a design flaw in that important little piece. Hopefully the weld job solves it, for both of us. That stupid part has been the only thing that caused a roadside breakdown in 4 years for me.

I had the exact same problem with my 5 sp. conversion shifter linkage--in my case the one that Aardvark sells. I have now broken 3 of them, the first 2 quickly replaced by aardvark. It is a real pain to be stuck in the middle of some intersection unable to move (mine always broke when I was in neutral, so no limping home). On #3, rather than get another one from Aardvark, I had someone drill out the back of the bar stock and weld the pins in on both sides. I think there is a design flaw in that important little piece. Hopefully the weld job solves it, for both of us. That stupid part has been the only thing that caused a roadside breakdown in 4 years for me.

Rare an OEM piece ever beraks. usually aftermarket stuff is what kills ya. I think the weld jobs will do it..........I hope

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

This is a great story and thread and shows why I bought my first '02 (does that imply there will be another one - like "this is Sue, my first wife") - you can work on them! The only things I've had to replace mechanically so far is the starter and a few hoses (knock on wood). Also why this is such a great forum - many knowledgeable and helpful members willing to lend a hand and their insights!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}